96 LS400 rough idling, white smoke sputtering, gasoline smell

vissine

I got a dead battery last few weeks. When I jump to start it again, I notice it's idling roughly, white smoke comes out and later smoke gets thicker. I also smell gasoline. Scan tool does not show any code. Would it be ECM issue? The reason I think about ECM because it does not report any code although it is not drivable. Should I try spark plugs, spark plug cables, ignition coils, igniters, injectors ... first? Thanks!

After rough idling for awhile, the rpm became stable. I went to an auto parts store I bought a bottle of Heet water remover. I drove for about 10 minutes then stopped on the side of the road because white smoke was so thick. I left it alone for a few hours on the road then started to drive it home. Interestingly, the smoke was so much less and unnoticeable. Anyway, I only replaced the air filter and poured Heet product into fuel tank. I don't know what actually solve the problem, but I don't care any more. I guess it was something to do with bad fuel.

• 2 years later...

I have a 96 LS400, I I recently put in a motor however when I went to start it I noticed gas at the top of my engine and white smoke coming out can you please help me should I replace a fuel injectors please let me know help me help me help me help.

Determine where the fuel leak is and repair.

White smoke is coming out from where?  Tailpipe?  White smoke is an indication of moisture/water.  White "smoke" is typically normal at start-up after the engine sits overnight.  It's more moisture (steam) than smoke and usually disappears after a few minutes.  If it's really heavy and persists, you probably have coolant getting into the combustion chambers - headgasket?

What condition is the engine you installed?  Wrecking yard - Used?  Rebuilt?