Got myself a 2001 LS430...

ChopsLS430

Hello, new to the forum and new to Lexus. However, I am not new to the knowledge of how these cars are extremely reliable and well put together. Mine is pearl white, bone stock, all original (minus things like belts and such), and has just over 198k miles on the clock. Everything works and it runs silky smooth. 

I have a 2016 Nissan 370Z that I've done over $13k of mods/upgrades to, but I am selling it due to a bunch of old bicycle stunts I used to do as a teenager that have taken their toll on my left leg. Long story. Plus, the way things are going now, having a larger, more practical car is the better way to go honestly. 

I've only had the Lexus for a couple of weeks and have been loving every minute of it, not to mention it's soooo much better for my leg. Getting in and out of this car is 99.9% pain free. 

Once I get going with the mods/upgrades on this Lexus, it'll make for much better content than what I'm posting currently. LOL  I plan on going on the theme similar to the old 2001 BMW 740i Sport and Mercedes S55 AMG. So yes, it will have some suspension work done to it, slightly lowered, beefed up sway bars, it will have some sporty but classy 18" staggered wheels, possibly era correct. I may upgrade the brake rotors to slotted units, definitely upgrade to Akebono pads, a high quality, quiet true dual exhaust with electronic cut-outs, ceramic tint of legal darkness, and a modest stereo upgrade that will be designed for sound quality and be completely stealth. You know, grown up mods for a grown up car. 😎

p3557842782-5.jpg

p3561881538-5.jpg

p3561881556-5.jpg

p3566987149-5.jpg

I don't know what you've been looking at, but Crutchfield has plenty of items that they say will fit, and most likely will with minimal effort. 

I'm still not 100% certain how I'm going to go with the system. I have a Helix DSP.2 that is the only thing I pulled from the 370Z. That DSP will be going into the Lexus. I may end up retaining and using the stock tweeters in the dash depending on how I can get them to sound with proper tuning. Will most likely be going with Stereo Integrity again for mid-bass drivers in the front doors (the new TM65 MkIII) as they are hard to beat at any price. I have the MkII's in the Z and those things sound darn good. I'll probably run a pair of Hertz coax speakers in the rear doors. 

As for sub(s), I don't want to limit myself to a single 8" infinite baffle driver in the stock rear deck location. I believe I can design a custom baffle that will require minimal space in the trunk and house a couple of 15" drivers, designed for infinite baffle of course. To the untrained eye, most won't even notice them being there even when looking right into the trunk. 

And lastly, I'll probably power the entire system off of a single 8 channel amp. The key is low power and pure sound quality. 

• 2 weeks later...

Not a whole heck of a lot of interest around here, but an update none the less. 

Went up this morning and got the windows tinted, 20% all the way around. Going back in a couple of days to have a 20% strip across the windshield as well as 70% tint all the way down the windshield to reduce any UV into the interior by 99.9% all the way around as well as reduce heat by a ton. It's the most I have spent yet on a tint job... A LOT more than I've ever paid for a tint job. But for the plans I have for this car, and wanting to provide maximum protection for the interior, it's worth it. 

p3598970018-5.jpg

p3598966302-5.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 9/11/2019 at 5:02 PM, ChopsLS430 said:

Not a whole heck of a lot of interest around here, but an update none the less. 

Went up this morning and got the windows tinted, 20% all the way around. Going back in a couple of days to have a 20% strip across the windshield as well as 70% tint all the way down the windshield to reduce any UV into the interior by 99.9% all the way around as well as reduce heat by a ton. It's the most I have spent yet on a tint job... A LOT more than I've ever paid for a tint job. But for the plans I have for this car, and wanting to provide maximum protection for the interior, it's worth it. 

p3598970018-5.jpg

p3598966302-5.jpg

I have that level of tint on my 2002 ls430.   The interior really does look pretty much new.  It has 185k but looks like maybe 10k.  It's a new car to me but the tint was on it when I bought it and I think it had to help keep it so nice. 

BG691932_adbe78.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

It's been a while, but a few updates...

Replaced the original tail lights with ones from the Celsior from Japan, which have clear turn signals. Really updated the looks of the back end of the LS430...

p3654309800-5.jpg

Hit 200k miles a few months back...

p3714134022-5.jpg

Purchased and installed a re-mapped stock ECU a couple weeks ago... Well worth the $350!

p3871296081-4.jpg

And have a bunch of other stuff sitting, waiting to be installed, including custom coilovers, new water pump/timing belt kit and a few other things...

p3801058242-5.jpg

• 2 months later...

Since everyone has been ranting and raving about my last set of photos (NOT), I figured I'd drop a few more from this morning's little joy drive. Just to help settle in the new suspension, and just because I enjoy driving the thing.

p3919906321-5.jpg

p3919906324-5.jpg

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
A few new pics in the sun. Quite a few updates including LED lighting inside and out and the LED yellow fog lights, and of course, the new wheels. Need to tweak ride height a little more, but nothing drastic. Loving this LS430 more and more every day, with 205k miles on the clock now.

p4121466348-5.jpg

p4121466457-5.jpg

p4121466353-5.jpg

p4121466420-5.jpg

p4121466403-5.jpg

p4121466417-5.jpg
  • Like 2

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I will soon be getting my 2002 LS 430 Ultra back from my mother-in-law when she voluntarily gives up driving.  I bought the car when it was 3 YO and sold it to my in-laws in 2008.  Silver with the ivory/grey driftwood interior.  It has just over 111K miles on it and needs a bit of work but nothing too major.  She has taken great care of it overall and it's in southern MO where salt is not an issue.  

You have given me some great ideas to ponder.  I want to keep it and drive it and bring it back to as new as possible, but I also love the idea of updating it like you have done.  My only concern is that I have the nav, which really dates the car when you are inside.  Would love any suggestions anyone out there has.

• 1 month later...
On 9/15/2019 at 6:30 PM, ChopsLS430 said:

I was tired of looking at the yellow, hazy headlights, so I decided to do something about them today...

p3604938104-5.jpg

p3604938866-5.jpg

p3604938202-5.jpg

p3604938294-5.jpg

p3604938401-5.jpg

What is the trick to cleaning up the headlights. Same issue on our Pearl White 02. TIA