cj3636

1994 LS400 Bad Performance/Rumbling/"Shaky" Idle

This is kind of hard to explain without you feeling it, but basically the car shakes or rumbles when driving or sitting. You could also call it a shudder.

This happens at pretty much all speeds, but is less noticeable when going faster.

The RPM's don't change much, if at all when this happens.

It is very intermittent, but it has become a problem because I will try to floor the car to overcome this and all of the sudden the car will full send.

It also makes the car stall, again being very dangerous.

I have ran the car out of fuel about a dozen times now because the fuel gauge/full dash lights don't work.

The car will always start just fine which makes me think it is more serious than a bad fuel pump/clogged filter.

There are no engine lights on (they should work, they come on when the key is at acc).

The "Trac" orange light will come on sometimes (not to be confused with the "Trac Off" light that does not work) , but doesn't seem to correlate with the issue.

Apologies for the bad description, but it is really the best I can come up with.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Running the car out of fuel will wear out the pump whether intentional or not. The gas helps to keep the pump cool and when there's no gas the pump can overheat. The car is 25 years old and if it's on the original pump it might be due for a change. Changing the pump is not that hard. you just have to pop up the bottom rear seat cushion by pulling up hard on each end and it snaps out. Then take off the bottom bolts to the seat back. there are also hidden bolts behind the headrests that are covered by flaps then you have access to the gas tank. the pump itself is not that expensive.

I removed successfully the seat back easily without touching the rear seat bottom. Use a 1/4 ratchet with a 12 inch extension and you should be fine. 

To help reduce the fuel pump work, I recommend to change the fuel filter. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By wineluver
      2007 ES350 with 180K........while accelerating have motor vibration. Also if at speed, any speed,  any increase on the pedal and get vibration. Seems to be getting worse since first noticed a number of months ago. Recent tire rotation and balance, alienment, new struts all around. Mechanic says could be motor mount(s). How to verify which mount, or should all be replaced? Does engine have to be pulled? Any idea the cost? And last, if it is a motor mount, what's worse case if I do nothing?
    • By sharihs
      Hi, I bought a new Lexus RX350 2 weeks back. Till last week I was driving in local roads and started driving on freeway this week. When I reach speeds of 60 mph and above I feel really bad shake/vibration of steering wheel. Initially I thought it might be related to the road surface and tried taking different freeways to test it. It is the same on all freeways I tried, there is more vibration if I go beyond 70 mph. I have another car which is Toyota camry and I took it on same freeways and it drives much smoother and I don't see much vibrations in the steering wheel.
      Curious to know if anyone else has experienced with a new vehicle. Any inputs on this is appreciated.
      I have called up the dealer and explained the issue. Got an appointment for Saturday.

• By wineluver
      Re-posting 
      I have a 07 es350 with 155k and recently replaced the front struts, with the rear getting done next few weeks. Turns out i waited to long and all 4 tires were cupped. Driving out off the shop and onto a freeway had vibration coming from front and steering wheel, so replaced the front tires with two good spares ( that were mildly cupped), same brand and model, and vibration gone. Now I have the same issue OBwan had,  a slight vibration felt in the seat (not through the steering wheel)from 45mph and up that does not increase with speed, but goes away around 60mph. Also there when turning at speed, as when entering on-ramps etc. Although the rear tires are also cupped, I left them on until I can replace rear struts, then i will get a new set of four tires. My concern is that I read that the es350 has had front axle issues and I am worried that is what is causing the vibration. A. should i be concerned? B. can putting the car on a lift for visual inspection spot this issue? (concerned an enterprising mechanic will just tell me i need new axles, bad or not. Can you replace just one?) C. if it is an axle any recommendation on after market brand? At this point my plan was to first replace rear struts, then buy new set of Conti Pure Contacts, and if vibration persists, replace one or both axles. Any suggestions would be appreciated as this is getting expensive!
    • By jasanders
      I have a 2003 GX470 with around 155k miles. It recently started to get a front end shake which isn't horrible, but you definitely feel it pretty good. I know the rear air suspension has a small leak, but the bags stay inflated for the most part. It feels like it is coming from the front more than the rear. I brought it to the dealership and they said something about the CV boots and something with the steering column I believe. I don't have the sheet they gave me to read exactly what it said. Could either of these be the reason for the front end shake? Has anyone else experienced this and have some insight? I sure as heck do not want to pay the dealership to fix either of these as they charge an arm and a leg.
    • By CindysSC400
      I have a 93 SC400 i bought 4 months ago from private party and bought a performance chip from GForce Chips. Been having sputtering/pooping sounds and hesitation a while after installing chip. Replaced TPS, fuel filter and cleaned MAF out also. Still had problems. Brought to dealer who tells me my MAF meter is burnt out!! Saw the chip and said it was most likely the cause, but couldnt guarantee it. Does anyone know if its just the meter or the sensor or both that needs replacing. Service guy says need to replace entire system including the plastic the meter is housed in! This was toyota dealer and wanted $1400+ to fix!! Yikes!!! We're going to fix ourselves, but need to know if we can replace just the meter? Is there a way to test if meter and sensor work with Ohm meter? Only light on was Trac light yet Trac works.