Remote Key Case

This key hasn't been opened since 1994, and frankly speaking, there are times when I can't open the car remotely until I get really really close to it.

Like everyone else suggested, I unscrewed the only screw I can see on the key, but when I tried to prop it open, I feel a lot of resistance towards the end. Is there any other locking mechnism towards the key ring hole area? Or any tips on open it up without breaking something inside?

I am also trying to determine what battery it is inside my key. It is either CR1616 or CR1216 (I searched through the forum and came up with two results..)

It is a 1994 LS400

Thanks

TR

Anyone correct me if I am wrong but the single screw holds everything together. If it has not be opened in a long time a lot of gunk can build up and act kind of like glue and hold it together. I would get a small knife and carefully get it between the two halfs until it pops apart. While it is open clean it really good. You will be amazed at all the junk that gets inside there. Not sure on the bat size. I just took mine apart and then went to Radio Shack were they replaced it. There is one right around the corner........

TR, the resistance you are feeling is from the lip on the inside of the key. The lip is in the area where the key ring would go. After you've undone the screw, lift and push(away from the actual key blade) the cover out. If you need pics, let me know. ;) Don't force anything!

:cheers:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...topic=9131&st=0

In the above post Blake has mentioned that it is either BR or CR 1216. Yesterday, I purchased Energizer CR1216 and it fits perfectly. And, like I mentioned in the above link that it works 10-15 feet away from the car.

Taking the top cover out is a little hassle. There is only one screw that holds it together. A little below the loop [part that where the key chain goes] thats where the top part and the bottom part are attached together [like lock&key]. You just have to use a little more pressure to get it out. There is NO way you are going to damage the interior of the key.

Below is a picture key without the cover, as you can see everything is protected so you can not damage anything. Except, there are some metal pieces in the hole, where the battery fits in to, this is the only part that you have to be carefull with. As you can see, this is my second key and when I bought it did not have the top cover; thats why it does not have the small metal pieces that hold the battery in place.

The key looks a lot older and dirtier than what it realy is. It seems that way because the pictures is zoomed in alot. Plus, it has been without the front cover for, I guess a long time [crazy last owners].

Overall, just you a little more power. It is not going to break, if you are carefull with it.

post-4-1083640746.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

BT, I hope these help(let me know if you need anything specific)....

DSC00671.sized.jpg

DSC00670.sized.jpg

DSC00669.sized.jpg

DSC00663.sized.jpg

DSC00655.sized.jpg

DSC00656.sized.jpg

All of my keys! I find it easiest to very lightly pull up on the cover while pulling back. Be extremely careful! The last thing you want to do is break a $200+ key! ;)

Blake,

Actually, I do need a bigger picture of the second one. That's the part where I am afraid to break! I can pull up a little bit of the cover (and yeah a lot of dusts!), but when you say "pull back" which direction are you referring to? Do you mean pull the cover towards the key? or push towards the keyhole?

Feel free to send me email with bigger pics attached. My email box can take up to 15Mb per email, and I virtually have unlimited email space. Here is the email address, thunderriver@umich.edu

Thanks!

I'm at the office right now, but I'll email you some more this evening. Lift the cover very lightly and push it back toward the key ring section(away from the metal key blade).