Hello everyone! I’m pretty new here, and before I ask my question, yes I’ve been throughout forums seeking answers and have tried a few things but now I feel as though I need advice. 

Recently grabbed a ‘93 LS400 that’s been misfiring. I just had the alternator and belt tensioner replaced but the car did stall out on me due to very rough and low idle. Check engine code comes up for the mass air flow sensor and TPS, both of which were replaced and recently adjusted by my mechanic. I had heard that if the catalytic converters were glowing red that means that they were possibly clogged, possibly oil in the cylinders leaking(?). I’m not sure, I’m fairly new to these vehicles in general. 

One thing to keep note of is, the check engine light is illuminated. When I give the car gas it shows major power loss, however halfway thru second gear the car starts to pickup/ maintain speed and the check engine light goes away. Once I come to a stop, or even let off the gas for a bit the CEL comes back. Complete stop brings the rough idle back. I did read that the ignition coils could be to blame as well. I changed the one dead center in the engine, but not the second one by the battery.

My question is should I be weary of the cats? My plan was the yank them and simply straight pipe the car on back. However efficiency is all I want now considering I haven’t had time to even enjoy the car since I purchased it 😟 

1993 LS400 

188,114 Miles

4C8F23A6-9B59-4433-9D52-9F3ACD46A08C.jpeg

On 8/4/2019 at 11:27 AM, SvpremeKai said:

Hello everyone! I’m pretty new here, and before I ask my question, yes I’ve been throughout forums seeking answers and have tried a few things but now I feel as though I need advice. 

Recently grabbed a ‘93 LS400 that’s been misfiring. I just had the alternator and belt tensioner replaced but the car did stall out on me due to very rough and low idle. Check engine code comes up for the mass air flow sensor and TPS, both of which were replaced and recently adjusted by my mechanic. I had heard that if the catalytic converters were glowing red that means that they were possibly clogged, possibly oil in the cylinders leaking(?). I’m not sure, I’m fairly new to these vehicles in general. 

One thing to keep note of is, the check engine light is illuminated. When I give the car gas it shows major power loss, however halfway thru second gear the car starts to pickup/ maintain speed and the check engine light goes away. Once I come to a stop, or even let off the gas for a bit the CEL comes back. Complete stop brings the rough idle back. I did read that the ignition coils could be to blame as well. I changed the one dead center in the engine, but not the second one by the battery.

My question is should I be weary of the cats? My plan was the yank them and simply straight pipe the car on back. However efficiency is all I want now considering I haven’t had time to even enjoy the car since I purchased it 😟 

1993 LS400 

188,114 Miles

4C8F23A6-9B59-4433-9D52-9F3ACD46A08C.jpeg

If the cats are glowing then they are not working properly and can do damage to the engine. The misfires are probably the culprit sending too much unburnt fuel into the cats.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Pepdoesit
      New member here, I have a jdm 91 Toyota Celsior. Starter was making noise during start up so I thought it was going bad. One day car stop doing anything. I would put the key in and everything works but it won’t turn over. I figured it was the starter. I changed the starter put everything back together and still nothing. I tried a new starter relay still nothing. It has a brand new battery. All fuses are good including fuses user the dash. If I bypass the starter relay it will crank over but will not start. Uses the key does nothing. Came here to see if maybe someone can help me big thanks in advance.
    • By Kdr
      I own a 1999 Lexus ls400. This is my first car that I got from my uncle. It has 400,000+ miles on it, and it’s just generally beat up. 2 weeks ago, the car stopped running. I had just parked it the night before and woke up to have it not even turn over. When I turn the key, I hear a click inside the engine compartment, but that’s it. There’s power to all the lights and everything else turns on. The starter will sometimes actually move as if it wants to turn over, but only for a second or two. Does anyone have any idea as to what’s wrong with it?
    • By otherworldliness
      Recently, I noticed that power steering has been making a ton of whining noise when I turn the steering wheel. After topping off the power steering reservoir with the Dextron ATF fluid, I checked the surrounding near the reservoir, there was no signs of leakage. With reservoir at correct level, the power steering would behave normally again. But that was short-lasted as fluid level would drop again.
      I ended up getting on my knee at the driver side (not passenger side), and noticed a ton of oil leak. I used my hand to touch the fluid and noticed that it is indeed the power steering fluid. I took a photo, but can anyone shed the light on what component may be at fault on the driver side? I thought the PS pump is on the passenger side. I haven't jacked up the car to take a better look yet, but I will do it soon.
      Note: the attached photo was taken on the driver side near the driver side front wheel

• By JamieLexys
      So a couple weeks ago I bought a used 92 LS400 on Craigslist for 1500. I went by myself to look at it and I have a vague knowledge of mechanics and how to look at used cars before buying them and I just bought it without having someone else look at it. After I bought it I had it inspected and found a myriad of issues. When I bought it I knew there was a power steering problem with a hose leaking and that didn't bother me also it needed a new battery so I got that when I bought it. I didn't know that it had a problem driving because I couldn't test drive it outside the little Street it was on but come to find out it shudders and hesitates when cruising and accelerating and they said that could be a crankshaft position sensor that's causing that. Also they said that the power steering pump may be bad as well as the rack and pinion if the hose does not remedy the problem. It's got bad tie rod ends, drive shaft flexible joint is bad, it's got a bad spark plug, valve cover gasket leak, some other gasket leak, needs a new fuel filter and the timing belt is in question whether or not it got changed... front tires are kind of low on tread. There's some minor aesthetic issues like the volume button broke, the LCD screen, the antenna, and there's some other little things I'm missing. The estimate I got from my mechanic was like 1800 so I just sourced the parts on RockAuto for like a quarter or less of what that cost is. Unfortunately I am on a tight budget so I only got the first thing I thought I needed, which was the power steering pressure line and the crankshaft position sensor. I got some decent information looking online for the replacement of the line but ultimately it was just trial and error taking things apart breaking things... it looked like the alternator was completely covered in power steering fluid so I removed it and Cleaned it with brake cleaner. I had to take it out anyway to be able to reach the line that need replacement. I also replaced the return hose, I think that was the main problem but it has a new pressure line now. I put in the new sensor, it was really easy unlike the pressure line. Once I got it all put together and filled up with new fluid, I decided to take it for a test drive as the steering was working quite well at the moment. When I get to the gas station and I started it up again it died on me, bad fuel pump. So here I am without my car temporarily, but I will be working towards getting it running and restored and possibly modified. I'll post more pictures as I get into it but that was just the Craigslist picture. this car needs a lot of love but I think it's going to be worth it in the end because I already have it and I'm kind of stuck with it. I really like this car though even though it needs a lot of work.

• By CELSI0R
      I discovered this article today, thanks to a member at ClubLexus. I went and made a scan of my copy, thanks to his discovery. I don't suppose it would hurt to post it here: