After changing thermostat and o-ring now car turns over but will not stay running

My car had been overheating when stopped at stop lights and stop signs. It seemed as soon as I had some good speed while it built up the heat, it began to cool down unless I had to slow down.

I visited this forum and was able to change out the thermostat and o-ring. I filled up the engine coolant with as much as it would take realizing it would have to have the engine run for it to circulate so that it would take more. After putting everything back together. My battery was making clicking sounds. I charged up the battery making sure the posts were clean as well. 

Now, my engine turns over but just as quick dies. I thought at first I might have missed something in putting everything back together. I checked and rechecked what I had done and didn't see anything amiss. So my question is "what is wrong now?" 

Pherbear2, did you ever get any traction on this issue? If not, you have to inspect your air intakes and vacuum lines, especially the vacuum switch to see if anything broke or didn't get reconnected. I know you have already checked and rechecked, but you have to go back and just stare at it for awhile because there is no way changing the Thermostat should have anything to do with starting/running. Good Luck and keep us in the loop. Thanks.

Paul  

I've been thinking the same thing. I had to remove air filter and some hoses so maybe I knocked something loose. And that could maybe be a problem? Don't know but will retrace my steps. Will keep ya updated on my progress.

The other issue I see you calling out is the battery quickly dying.  It shouldn't.  Maybe your battery is bad. Can you get it to an Auto parts store for testing with a load tester?

Paul

Unfortunately,  at this moment without the car being able to move, I am not able to take the battery anywhere.  I was able to retrace my steps. I only did the first part without draining the antifreeze since it is new and no reason to empty it. I removed the top half of the air cleaner cap assembly and looked for any hoses not connected. Also checked to see if there were any bumped wires or anything else that was loose. I made sure the clamp screws were tight and all hoses in place. Yet after all that the car ran 2-3 seconds longer yet still died. I enclosed some pictures hope it helps.

20190801_171331.jpg

20190801_171343.jpg

20190801_171412.jpg

20190801_171423.jpg

20190801_171437.jpg

20190801_171453.jpg

I purchased an OBD II/EOBD code reader. Now before I had problems with the thermostat, I had two codes showing up. P0135 (O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 1) and P0402 (Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Excessive Detected). Now there is a third one...P1300 (Manufacturer control). I'm not sure what this is. All I know is it is under the Powertrain, Manufacturer specific, and it has to deal with the Ignition System or Engine misfire. The 00 is supposed to identify the specific malfunctioning section of the system. This is the part that I have no idea of and I am wondering if it can be replaced. 

20190804_151337.jpg

I looked it up on the internet too. I dont know exactly what it means for your car either but it doesn't look good.  The first thing I buy for my cars is a wiring manual. Partly because I have been an electronic tech for 40 years. You definitely need a good professional mechanic to help you with this one just to identify the specific components being called out with that particular DTC. Sorry.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

you might try deleting all the codes to see if taking it out of "safe" mode will help.   i'd change the 02 sensor also.  can't see how changing thermo. would affect the coil or other electrical things as long as you plugged everything back in correctly.

Getting all of this information and all the hints about coil number 1, I looked and looked and brushed up against the wiring and found where it came completely loose. After I plugged it back in and got the battery charged up, as i killed it from trying to start it so many times, it started right up. I cleared out the codes and only the first two popped back on, but that last one went away. Thank all of you for pointing me right! The last photo was the culprit. Once I snapped that back in place I've not had a problem since.

Screenshot_20190804-173352_Chrome.jpg

1565817352167383015003840912788.jpg