RX 350 since 2016 is an ugly suv

Walter Guerin

Well.... I am sure everybody has different opinion (especially on the car designs :) ).

However, I bought a 2019 RX350 last night, because of the new look. 

Hope I would not regret my purchase for long time. 

Jin

On 7/29/2019 at 2:05 PM, pj8708 said:

Wow Walter!

Youv've posted two post so far and you've already insulted other members. One of which is me....2016 RX 350.

Paul

Paul, Walter didn't say you were ugly.  He didn't insult you or anybody else.  He said that he thinks that the generation 4 RX is ugly.  Lots of people including me are put off by the exterior styling of the gen 4 RX.  I wouldn't necessarily call the gen 4 RX the ugliest SUV on the road but it's in the running IMO.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and the gen 4 RX hurts my eyes.  I especially liked the exterior styling of the gen 3 RX.

Based on Walter's previous thread, he appears to be shopping for a replacement for his 2007 RX.  If he doesn't like the gen 4 RX, perhaps the more conventional styling of the Toyota Highlander would be more to his liking.  The upcoming 2020 Highlander is significantly revised and has what we used to think of as a normal looking front grill.  Mechanically, the Highlander is very similar to the RX and it has a 3rd row seat that is much roomier than the 3rd row in the gen 4 RX-L.

Thank you for explaining my intent. It's beyond my wildest imagination that someone would interpret my comments as

a personal criticism and of course my opinion is my opinion only. No reflection Paul. I know how difficult it is to overlook the comfort and reliability

of an RX based on it's appearance.

Steady mates!!! LOL

Sometimes when I try to be cute I end up being not as cute as my mother thought I was. 

Jim I can't  believe we are both still able to sit up and take nourishment. Glad to know your still there in the big city.

The introduction of the Baleen Whale mouth look for the front of several Lexus models was a major shock for almost the entire car world. When we chose the 2016 RX, enough time had past for me to compare it to other new car makes. Over the last Christmas season advertisement video campaign Lexus showed a much better perspective that the pictures used for internet. I especially picked up on the aggressive appearance, and a more contemporary styling and in my brain, the sharp angles on the side and rear are a good improvement.

I think this new front finally gets us out of the ditch where we have always been called the old man look, Buick "excitement" looks, and a very difficult time making any kind of a real break into 30 & 40's age driver. I'm anxious to see the first and second quarter sales for 2019.

Walter, if you want expert help on Lexus and electronics you won't find anyone better than Jim. He and I have been here a long time and have made many friends. My health has slowed me down but I try to check-in regularly.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2017 RX350 and love it...and I think it looks much better than the 2015 RX 350 I traded it in for. If you don't like the new models don't buy one. I suppose Lexus' sales numbers will ultimately determine success, but seeing the number of RX's AND NX's in the new style I'd say they're doing awfully well. 

• 1 year later...

Is it the overall style or the grill in particular?  The grill is a polarizing feature - hated and loved.  I believe that Lexus wanted to try to stand out from the crowd. So many cars seem to just look alike these days.  

8 hours ago, LexusGuy603 said:

Is it the overall style or the grill in particular?  The grill is a polarizing feature - hated and loved.  I believe that Lexus wanted to try to stand out from the crowd. So many cars seem to just look alike these days.  

That's a valid point LexusGuy603 and you're right, it doesn't do any harm to have an identity...Audi seem to have used this ethos rather well with their unique grill design

BMW has it with the "nostrils grill".  I do find the Lexus nomenclature confusing.  Some models have an "F Sport" which may or may not mean changes in horsepower and handling while others have the "F" designation which appears to be a different engine.  Everyone knows what a BMW M is as well as the Mercedes AMG. Not so with the F... 

• Like 1

I think the main reason why Lexus doesn't offer any vehicles with exotic car power is their reputation for longevity. German manufacturers seem to be in a never-ending competition for highest horsepower but I doubt any can last as long as the typical Lexus vehicle. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LexusGuy603 said:

BMW has it with the "nostrils grill".  I do find the Lexus nomenclature confusing.  Some models have an "F Sport" which may or may not mean changes in horsepower and handling while others have the "F" designation which appears to be a different engine.  Everyone knows what a BMW M is as well as the Mercedes AMG. Not so with the F... 

You are absolutely correct....seems like the trim level is now reflected in the badging, e.g. Audi using 'Sport-Line' 

5 hours ago, RX400h said:

I think the main reason why Lexus doesn't offer any vehicles with exotic car power is their reputation for longevity. German manufacturers seem to be in a never-ending competition for highest horsepower but I doubt any can last as long as the typical Lexus vehicle. 

Very good point....sometimes its not always about power and I think Lexus have the best combination of power, ride comfort and reliability

• 4 weeks later...

The IS 500's performance and horsepower is about the same as that of the LC500, so no, Lexus is not "pulling a Mercedes or BMW" by cranking up the horsepower to 600+.

Reliability is far more important than bragging rights. Side fact: There will be only 500 of the IC 500s produced.

• Like 1

I'm a fan of Lexus vehicles in general but when they elected to plaster the front with a Darth Vader face across the whole lineup I just can't get excited about anything they produce anymore. 

Others may feel the front look is the best look Lexus has ever produced. Hey, that's cool. But about the time Acura vehicles all came with 'Klingon war bird' fronts Lexus seemed to take it to the next level too……It's like Acura was taking the luxury car where no car has gone before and Lexus was trying to get folks to think the force is strong with this one. At least Acura improved on the 'Joker smile' front end. 

I suppose I'm old fashioned but to me the original Lexus style grill was the best looking front end to see in the rear view mirror or approaching from the opposite direction. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I’ve owned an ES330 and ES350; a 2005 and 2015 respectively. Loved them both but the ES350 headlights were so horrible/dull that I felt unsafe and recently traded it in. I ended up with a Subaru Legacy Touring XT (beautiful but HATE the car…don’t get me started! Won’t be keeping this; got it in August 2021).

The reason I left Lexus is:

I was sad when they made the Lexus grill macho/Darth Vader/mean/plain old ugly and unappealing. I could NEVER drive one a vehicle with that grill. It’s not a good look, nothing stylish about it, and I’m shocked they don’t offer a toned down and more appealing grill. I spoke with a very young salesman at my local Lexus dealership on Sunday and asked when they’re going to go back to the old nice looking grill. “People love this grill…” and when I informed the young guy that “no, we really don’t; too masculine/macho/overdone” he said “mmmm, never heard of that before…we sell a lot of them.” I responded that they could be selling more. You’d think he would know!  Lexus was my dream car; it floated on the highway, was beautiful, clean, a joy to drive….I SOOOO miss it but just can’t go back to what was once a gorgeous car but now unappealing and just plain ugly with an exaggerated dark grill.