Should I get a cover for my dash, it gets really hot, will it crack at some point?

2014 Rx 350

My Lexus Is mainly used during the months of Nov to May and then I drive a Z4 during the summer. But  the dash gets really hot sitting on the driveway. I’m worried it’s going to crack over time. I put a towel over it now to reduce the heat and sun exposure. 

Should I buy a custom dash cover for the summer? 

Any thoughts ????????

Thanks 

• 1 month later...

• 4 weeks later...

My wife always uses a windshield cover on our RX400h, yet the dash needed replacement, anyway. It was the material that was defective. Nonetheless, I recommend that you use a windshield cover since it both reduces the interior temperature AND protects the dash. I use a car cover on my cars but it can be cumbersome to install on a large vehicle on a daily basis so she uses only the windshield cover.

And by the way, Armor All does not accelerate drying/cracking/. It may have, 30 years ago but its modern formula has been proven to protect plastic surfaces from sun exposure. I use non-glossy AA on my interior plastics and the glossy stuff on door/hood seals and hoses in the engine bay.

Lexus cars last a long time.  One of the hard things to replace is a cracked dash.  Put a rug on it, especially if your car is outside a lot.  In Nevada at 5,000 UV light is really strong and eats up a lot of things. 

• 4 months later...