Non-Warranty Costs

I am looking at getting a CPO RX350, 2016-17.  It will be driven about 25k miles a year so getting away from the initial depreciation and the unlimited miles warranty interest me.  Per my understanding basic maintenance on a RX350 is pretty typical of any vehicle and since it is a Highlander pretty much any good shop can do the work (after the 20k of free maintenance with the CPO).  Is there anything I need to watch out for?  In particular one of the vehicles we are going to look at has the triple beam LED headlights.  I've seen some vehicles where these type lights are stupid expensive to replace.  Has anyone run across a non-warranty component that gives out and you've gotten an unexpected surprise when it comes time to replace?

Thanks much.

There are many way to look at replacement cost for parts.  I usually settle on the “Cost vs. Value” philosophy.  I had an 18 Rav4 and have an 18 RX350. Both with basically the same package including Blind Spot mirror and radar cruise.  Rav4 was 28K and the RX was 51K, called their Bread and Butter package.

Therefore, if it costs me twice as much to replace a part on the RX vs. the Rav4, then, I would have no problem paying twice the price to repair the RX.  If you have to replace a windshield in any of the new cars, cheap or expensive, that have the not-so-optional window cameras, you may want to check the deductible on your insurance first. When I tried to do what you want to do, there just wasn’t anything out there that met all my milage, no lease, color, condition, options and owner history.  What ever you do, make sure you get radar cruise and set it to lock in at the max of one-football field to avoid them flying rocks from the trucks in front of you.  Just kidding about the rocks, John.

Les Lex 2018 appreciate your thoughts.  My take is a bit different on the repair parts.  If you have a starter for example that is the same starter as used on a Highlander takes the same time into install, I would not expect to pay double.  I was thinking of some of the more exotic items that can be had on a Lexus as opposed to another vehicle such as the triple beam LED lights.  I believe I read replacements for those were in the $100's.  I want to try and keep away from any options that have a crazy repair cost.

Also curious, why wouldn't you consider an off lease vehicle?  I'm finding several within a couple hundred miles of me (radius takes in 4 major metro areas) that have all the basic options we would require, around $25k miles and colors that would be acceptable to us.

I live in IL, land of the windshield chippers :).

Appreciate your thoughts.

I’ve been fortunate to not have any of those expenses, due to trading every 3 years, But you could just ask Toy and Lex what they charge for a certain repair.

As to why I stay way from used leases.  One bad experience on a lease Toyota that had front end problems that model never should have had. I feel like: If you don’t own it and you know you will turn it in in 3 years, some would be more likely to buy cheap grocery store gas, drive it harder, and leave it out on the street in all the element - Sun, Ice, heavy due/condensation, etc. The big prize when buying used, is finding the original owner to have garage kept it and used a top rated hi-detergent fuel. In other words, they loved their RX as much as I do.  Nice having a discussion with you on my favorite subject, John.

Interesting.   I would hope someone that has a luxury vehicle, even as a lease would take decent care of it, if nothing else so they don't get dinged at traded in time, but sure not always the case.  Agree, seeing where the owner lives is the gold standard.   We have a situation where the vehicle would be driven 20k+ miles a year so can't justify a new one at this time.   Want to get a CPO with at least 3 years of coverage and reassess at that point (my wife will be retired from her current job by then, she puts on a fair number of miles for work).

I still would caution you that a lease can be abused for all sort of reasons that don’t show up at the lease surrender, like the reasons given and driving at higher speeds over speed bumps.  Maybe the lessor checks alignment and charged if its out, but I don’t know. Same for excessive brake wear.  Typically you have 5 Lexus dealer within a 200 mile area/radius, as we do in Huntsville, being Atlanta, Birmingham, Nashville, and Memphis.  Hope someone has the RX you like.  The 17s should start showing up more and more but your better bet is the 16s if you are particular.