Mark

Mark Rookwood

Question:

Hello - I've not used a resource like this before so please bear with me - I own a 1992 Lexus SC300 and am having a chronic  problem with the car not starting at what appears to be random intervals. One day I can go out and start the car immediately as if it were brand new. Other days I can turn the car over and the engine will crank but not start.  It has very low mileage ( under 38,000 ). When the car starts, it runs beautifully and starts very quickly. The dealer where we purchased it has recommended a diagnostic ($300) to ascertain all problems with the vehicle.  I just want the car to run when we need it to and am not interested in learning every possible issue that the dealer would like to repair and be compensated for.  I'm only interested in its reliability to start when needed.  Also, it's probably worth noting that when we first purchased the vehicle, we had a similar problem which was remediated under warranty and never occurred again until now.  Not sure if that's just a coincidence or a replacement part which has reached its useful life and needs replacement.

The car is really used as an "around town" vehicle in terms of use however we now have multiple drivers at home and are down to one car without it.  If anyone out there has information or suggestions as to what the cause could be, I'd be very interested to hear from you to learn what my next steps should be. 

Thanks very much

Mark