Shaking in rear of car at speed

falconhand

Hello!

First post on this forum, nice to meet you all.聽 馃檪

I've noticed a sort of vibration in the back end of the car, at 50+mph. This happens in particular after sitting in stop&go traffic, or city driving. I've had the car aligned, balanced and rotated the tires. (Not specifically for this, we bought it from a guy who had whacked a lot of curbs, finally got around to the alignment. Balance was for the shaking steering wheel (really bad) at speed. Anyways, I'm kind of confused as to what is causing the shaking and I would be appreciative of any help that could be offered. I'd just like to note, it doesn't feel overly dangerous or anything, I'm just a bit nervous that it's going to get worse.聽

Many thanks!

The first order of business is to take it back to whoever did the balancing and tell them they missed it.聽 Badly.聽 Ask them to also evaluate for road force issues (out of round) and possibly a bent wheel.聽 It might be something as simple as a weight they put on has come off.聽 I had that happen to my 2000 RX300 on one occasion.聽 Those allow wheels sometimes won't let a perimeter weight seat properly and the can pop off.聽 Regardless, a trip back to the balancing shop is the first thing to do.聽 Good luck.

I don't believe its balancing, when I got it balanced the steering wheel shaking was fixed, that's all good now. I just got it aligned a couple days ago, and then rotated my tires. (Problem persisted). If it was balance, wouldn't the back wheels, which are now in the front, cause the steering to shake again? Thank you for your response, I don't mean to argue.聽

Something that just crossed my mind, is it plausible that the brakes are intermittently dragging a bit? I've noticed it happens after stop and go traffic. i forgot to mention, it's not consistent. Sometimes it's nice and smooth, and sometimes it bounces around for a while.

Well, I'm thoroughly confused now.聽 Brakes should not cause an imbalance problem.聽 If it's my RX300, it's headed back to the shop that did the balancing.聽 The worst that will happen is the tires will actually be in balance and then you can begin to look elsewhere.聽 Chances are if it's a good shop they will have seen a lot of unusual stuff in the past and may be able to point you in the right direction.聽 Again, good luck.

If you've rotated the tires (both from the rear to the front), the balancing and tire bulges is probably not an issue. I'd start聽from checking the undercarriage (is everything OK with your rear chassis) and re-aligning the wheels.聽

...you may also want to check on聽https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home聽or with a dealer if you car (identifiable by the VIN number) has any open TSB (technical service bulletins)...