Fog Lights

I know you all have seen cars driving with their parking lights on, but sometimes you see them with their fog lights on also. how do i get my 98 ES300 to have the fog lights running with the parking lights? do i have to buy an auxilary kit of some sort?

I think I know what your talking about. The 98's foglights will only kick on when the main headlights are also on. There's probably a way to rig the wiring but I don't know enough about the electrical system to do it. With all the searches I've run for aftermarket parts, I've never run across an auxilliary kit. There's a guy who frequents the forums that owns an independant Lexus shop. He might be able to help you out.

there is a way to rig the wires to do it. but the problem with the ES is that the wires are connected to the turn signal arm and the wires go through the steering column. that one's a hard one to figure out, but if the wires can be accessed easily, an easy mod to do once you find the right wire to trick the car into thinking the headlights are on.

kev

Of course it is but judgeing from your question i would guess that you aren't much for modifiying electronics .

You would need to find the relay that turns on the fog lights.There is an open switch that you need to duplicate its trigger.

do a google search on "bananaGS". this guy has a lot of DIY stuff for the GS on his website. One of which is rewiring the fog lights so they come on with the parking lights instead of the headlights.

The GS is the same stalk setup as the ES, and I have heard it will work.

steviej

• 4 weeks later...
You shouldn't drive with fog lights unless you're in fog. They are not aimed like conventional headlights and it's extremely discourteous to oncoming drivers.

I don't agree. In the case of factory installed fog/driving lights, they are mounted alot lower than the headlights. If aimed properly they illuminate the ground in front to cut under the fog. Ever turn your headlights on high in the fog?.....right back in your eyes.

Mounted low, they cut under the fog so reflection does not come back at the driver. Being mounted low also limits the light path to oncoming drivers. So in the absence of fog there should be no hinderance.

I figure, the more light I have the better YOU see me. I drive with my fog/driving lights on whenever my headlights are on. They are aimed properly and do not serve as a hinderance to oncoming drivers and do not shine directly into the rearview mirror of the guy in front of me.

The HID lights cast far more light than the fogs do anyways.

This, however, is not the case if we are talking aftermarket fog/driving lights that have been mounted/aimed incorrectly.

steviej

Personally, I love the look of driving with the fog lights on and I do so all of the time. When I drive following any of my siblings, they always complain later that my fogs are so bright . . . I am using factory-spec bulbs, so maybe they are misaligned?

Regards,

Bryan

Yeah, I swear that my stock fogs aren't aimed right b/c you can see the yellow line WAY above the line of the headlights when you're on a straight stretch, and plus I've seen my car from up front and the fogs are definitely in your face as opposed to the Silverstars. I looked up under there though and don't see any adjustments...but when I pull it right up next to my garage door, they're aimed lower than the headlights. Doesn't make much sense to me, but whatever. I'm not the guy in front of me :lol:

I'm not sure about Virginia Beach, but I am pretty sure that here in Ontario, Canada it is illegal to drive with your parking lights on . . .

Regards,

Bryan

It isn;t illegal to drive with parking liights on

just like it is law for us to have DRL's

you can have full lights on or any level of them together you want

WHcih is why many vehicles like the dodge caravan use the parking lights instead of drl's

you can have full lights on or any level of them together you want

WHcih is why many vehicles like the dodge caravan use the parking lights instead of drl's

I don't think I understand what you are saying here . . . "any level of them together that you want" ??

I thought in Driver's Training they said it was illegal to drive with just your parking lights on (and I thought that was kind of weird)

Are Daytime Running lights mandatory in Ontario?

Regards,

Bryan

Canadian models have daytime running lights, like all GM models do now. They also have headlight sprayers. If driving in the US with your parking lights on is illegal, then I'm breaking the law in 2 ways; one, I do that all the time, and 2, mine aren't orange-they're blue (or "super white" but that's a crock of siht-they're blue :lol: Hey...it's all about color coordination and my headlights are Silverstars. It's a Lexus, not a Geo..gotta match, it's to be expected :P )

I guess I should look into the Canadian laws . . . I am probably totally wrong.

I used to have blue signal lights on my Mazda MX-6 and matching headlights . . . I thought it looked really cool :) But yes, the blue signals are definitely illegal here in Canada . . . but then, so is the limo tint on my front windows :P

Regards,

Bryan

blue signals are illegal but are open to contreversay

i don;t think it is illegal in the states to drive with your lights on it would be stupid to maek that a law since some cars have the option of drls

DRL's are the law in all of Canada not just Ontario

just like 3rd brake lights since 86

headlight washers where part of the cold weather package with heated seats and mirrors with a block heater

available in the states also in the snow belt

but on all canadian vehicles standard