Bumby Ride

Lexus 470 RC

I always wanted a Lexus and traded a Toyota 4 Runner in on a 2007 Lexus 470 with 105,000 miles.... Purchased in Dallas and drove it 300 Miles back home and I felt like I was beat to death it was so rough.  Had it in Comfort Zone and made no changes. Lexus dealer technician did not find anything wrong with the shock absorbers or the suspension and said the airbags were fine. They said they just rode like that.. Tires were nearly new but were 3 different brands. Not sure why 3 different brands when it was trading in., They said the shock absorbers were in good shape and doesn't need replaced at this time and not a safety concern... I am so disappointed to hear all of that being a 64 year old lady that always wanted a Lexus..... Any suggestions out there would be helpful.....

I would highly suggest replacing the tires so they're all the same.  Tires can have a big affect on the ride.  Having 3 different brands with 3 different tread patterns is not good and is certainly contributing/causing the problem.  Yes, the LX470 is a truck and won't ride like a sedan, but it shouldn't "beat you to death."  Good luck!

• Thanks 1

I had a 1996, 2004, 2006 and now 2015.... there is no way that beating you to death is normal. If all the mechahicals are good then that leaves the tires.

Trust me on the tires, get Michelin it you want a good ride. You get what you pay for and the other brands WILL impact ride quality.

• Like 1

The LX470 suspension is rough but nothing like "beating to death".

This is having 3 different brands of tires what is most likely causing a bumpy ride. This is also a huge safety issue. In my region, we've recently had a driver who died as he was driving at circa 60mph, had to make a sudden maneuver but was unable to retain control of a car due to different tire threads and their different level of wear and tear. He smashed into a truck and died.

Not ideally, but you can still have front/rear tires of a different thread pattern/wear and tear, however, both of the front tires should have the same pattern/wear and tear and both of the rear tires should have the same pattern/wear and tear (and you'd put the most worn tires on the rear axle). Ideally, all four tires should be the same.

Other things which may cause a bumpy ride are:

- dirt on the wheel disks. Not your case (having driven 300 miles, the dirt must have gone away);

- a wrong wheel alignment. Best to perform a wheel alignment once a year.

• Like 1

Thank you for your info.. I am taking it in tomorrow and I am going to replace tires and get the front end aligned..... They had put new brakes on it as well as a timing belt and water pump. My son drives a 2004 GX470 and he suggested I had them put a water pump and timing belt on since it had 105,000 miles on it.  I am hoping I see a difference. Thanks for you help.

10 minutes ago, Lexus 470 RC said:

...and get the front end aligned....

From you last post, you seem to have more issues.

(1) replace the tires
(2) do a four wheels alignment. You'd benefit hugely from it. And it shouldn't cost too much more.

Water pump and timing belt won’t change the feel... just know that. It is good to get it done, but it won’t be cheap.

Did you decide on Michelin tires? You will feel a big difference with the comfort of those tires....

I have not replaced tires as of yet. I am working with the dealership I bought it at. Took it in this morning to have it diagonised at a closer Lexus dealership..I have noticed the airbags are leaking and the back is lower and I did try to raise it and i don't know if it is the switch or what but when I had it in park and trying to raise it up, nothing happened...  I am hoping that this can be resolved before I have the expense of buying new tires.. I noticed on the comfort level button they are 4 selections and the book says the 2nd mode (larger dot) is for in town driving. Most of my driving is highway miles..  I just want this resolved where I can enjoy this 2007 Lexus GX 470 without costing me so much out of pocket. I know since I bought it (used as is warranty) I am hoping i am not going to be hit too hard.