Brake Actuator failure

Curious how many Lexus owners have had a brake actuator failure.  We have a 2013 RX350; we bought a new RX450, and parked the 350 over the holidays planning to sell.  When I started it, numerous warning lights came on: the "Check AWD System" light, the engine light, and the VSC and Traction Control System lights. Upon taking the vehicle to our dealer, were we told that the brake actuator assembly needed to be replaced.  The cost to do so was $3,855.12.  I found there was a NHTSA recall on 2/12/2014 for this issue, requiring a software upgrade to avoid the failure of the brake actuator.  The dealer advises that software was updated in 2015 - which obviously didn't work because the brake actuator still failed.  Lexus is refusing to cover this, even though the predicted failure occurred anyway.  If anyone else has experienced this, please let me know.  I am preparing litigation on this issue.

• 1 year later...

We have 2013 lexus rx450h. Brakes started making what can be described as a seal barking type of noise we took it to dilorenzo a replace the brakes that did not stop the problem then after several other appointments they narrowed it down to what they think is the brake actuator. A few months afterwards all the warning lights came on and now they're telling me the Hybrid battery is no good. I've read where they are linked I'm not sure shocked that Lexus will not cover this especially after they replaced a cracked dashboard on my 2004 Lexus 350 when it was 10 years old and had more than a hundred thousand miles on it! 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I am just now experiencing all this. I bought a used 2006 Lexus RX400H and a few weeks ago, the lights and the sound of "a barking seal" when braking started. From what I am reading... it's going to cost me approximately 3K. This is insane. Just bought the vechile. I'm a single mother of four children and there's no way I can spend another 4K getting it fixed. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I have the same problem with my RX400H 2006 when running almost there's no power and when on stop engine off the actuator/ABS is running on and off and making my battery go dead.

Wants me to check VSC. 

Side note: Of the thousands of data points from RX owner's surveys, there is no indication of brake or electronics failures related to brakes, as per Consumer Reports. In fact, none of the 17 categories listed show anything below a "better than average" rating. These ratings are pulled from CR's 2021 buying guide.

It seems a bit odd that almost everyone who posted here has never posted anything else. I'm seeing a pattern here that doesn't add up.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2019 at 12:42 PM, D Eric said:

Curious how many Lexus owners have had a brake actuator failure.  We have a 2013 RX350; we bought a new RX450, and parked the 350 over the holidays planning to sell.  When I started it, numerous warning lights came on: the "Check AWD System" light, the engine light, and the VSC and Traction Control System lights. Upon taking the vehicle to our dealer, were we told that the brake actuator assembly needed to be replaced.  The cost to do so was $3,855.12.  I found there was a NHTSA recall on 2/12/2014 for this issue, requiring a software upgrade to avoid the failure of the brake actuator.  The dealer advises that software was updated in 2015 - which obviously didn't work because the brake actuator still failed.  Lexus is refusing to cover this, even though the predicted failure occurred anyway.  If anyone else has experienced this, please let me know.  I am preparing litigation on this issue.

I have a 2006 with same issue the check VSC, engine and ABS Plus traction lights have come on and won’t go off. It drives abnormal to before the lights came on but I’ve been advised until I can afford the parts & labor that I can carefully

I was told the car is drivable but to be very careful. It’s so expensive & the cost is close to the overall value of the car so I may just trade it in. It’s been a great vehicle to drive…well up until now!!

Believe me, if you instead owned a 2006 BMW, Audi, or Mercedes, you'd have already spent many thousands of dollars. Lexus vehicles are almost always far more reliable.

32 minutes ago, RX400h said:

Believe me, if you instead owned a 2006 BMW, Audi, or Mercedes, you'd have already spent many thousands of dollars. Lexus vehicles are almost always far more reliable.

It’s been the best used car I’ve ever owned and to tell the truth this issue with the VSC etc happened at 235,000 miles which is quite the miracle as it still rides smooth. I just don’t want to trade it for something else. Every time I look I pretty much wind up going home in tears because I love my car. This is very unusual for me because I used to trade cars like some men switching girlfriend lol. Just kidding guys…making a bit of a joke but serious about the car. I get 29mpg average fuel economy according to the car. 

Wow, that's over 100,000 miles more than I have! But yes, with some other vehicles multiple issues make swapping vehicles very easy. With Lexus, Mazda, and Toyotas, there are far fewer reasons to let them go. I picked up one of my sisters and brother-in-law at the airport a few years ago and they thought the RX400h was new. 
I recommend checking your tire pressure and adjusting if necessary, every 2-3 months. It does make a difference with fuel mileage.