Kdr

Ls400 Does Not Start

I own a 1999 Lexus ls400. This is my first car that I got from my uncle. It has 400,000+ miles on it, and it’s just generally beat up. 2 weeks ago, the car stopped running. I had just parked it the night before and woke up to have it not even turn over. When I turn the key, I hear a click inside the engine compartment, but that’s it. There’s power to all the lights and everything else turns on. The starter will sometimes actually move as if it wants to turn over, but only for a second or two. Does anyone have any idea as to what’s wrong with it?

Welcome to the club. First you need to check and make sure the battery is good. If it's good then with that amount of miles it's a good bet that the starter has died.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, sha4000 said:

Welcome to the club. First you need to check and make sure the battery is good. If it's good then with that amount of miles it's a good bet that the starter has died.

Thank you. I managed to get it to start, and it was the starter relay! I popped it out and put it back in, and it worked just fine. Thanks for the diagnosis help though

• Like 1

Good thing it was just the relay.Glad your back on the road.

I have never heard of a relay causing the click sound, we always went for the solenoid.... makes me wonder if we done it wrong all these years..

23 hours ago, billydpowell said:

I have never heard of a relay causing the click sound, we always went for the solenoid.... makes me wonder if we done it wrong all these years..

You are right! It’s the solenoid that was the source of the clicking, but we managed to discover that it was the relay. The solenoid would fure, but the starter wouldn’t.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Kaimana
      So, I'm still struggling with the coilover problem. I want to put stiffer suspension on the Lexus, but I don't want to screw up the camber, I haven't found any camber kits, so I'm curious if there's any way to solve this.

• By Kaimana
      So, someone tried to break into my car and left my passenger side window in shambles and while looking for a new window, I discovered a 1999 model at U-Pull. Now this wouldn't be an issue if my car was a 1999, but it's a 1990. I'm wondering if the passenger window on that LS400 is compatible with my 1990 LS400.

• By Kaimana
      I just bought a 1990 ls400, but I wanted to install some coilovers, but I'm worried about the camber. I don't want to stance my car, I just want it a little lower, but I can't find any camber kits. Any suggestions?

• By SvpremeKai
      Hello everyone! I’m pretty new here, and before I ask my question, yes I’ve been throughout forums seeking answers and have tried a few things but now I feel as though I need advice. 

Recently grabbed a ‘93 LS400 that’s been misfiring. I just had the alternator and belt tensioner replaced but the car did stall out on me due to very rough and low idle. Check engine code comes up for the mass air flow sensor and TPS, both of which were replaced and recently adjusted by my mechanic. I had heard that if the catalytic converters were glowing red that means that they were possibly clogged, possibly oil in the cylinders leaking(?). I’m not sure, I’m fairly new to these vehicles in general. 
      One thing to keep note of is, the check engine light is illuminated. When I give the car gas it shows major power loss, however halfway thru second gear the car starts to pickup/ maintain speed and the check engine light goes away. Once I come to a stop, or even let off the gas for a bit the CEL comes back. Complete stop brings the rough idle back. I did read that the ignition coils could be to blame as well. I changed the one dead center in the engine, but not the second one by the battery.

My question is should I be weary of the cats? My plan was the yank them and simply straight pipe the car on back. However efficiency is all I want now considering I haven’t had time to even enjoy the car since I purchased it 😟 

1993 LS400 
      188,114 Miles