Fluids Get Replaced

Meist21

My neighbor and I finished replacing my differential fluid, tranny pan drain and refill, oil filter and oil, and coolant change. Took about a couple of hours (minus the beer and talk) Everything was good. Although if anyone is going to do their diff. fluid get a tool that will push the fluid in for ya. The bottle of oil is a pain to use with the limited space. The tranny fluid also took a little bit over 2 quarts. It took about 2 1/4 quarts. Actually just a hair under. I know most posts say 2 quarts dead on but we filled and ran the car brought it back in a re measured. Most of the posts I saw on tranny pan drains were on first Gen Ls cars. My neighbor and I have 98s. Not sure if the trannys changed but the specs said about 2 quarts. I figure a little more won't hurt the car. Next job is the fuel filter.

Although if anyone is going to do their diff. fluid get a tool that will push the fluid in for ya.  The bottle of oil is a pain to use with the limited space.

Thanks for the tips .......... I'm going to do the differential soon so you saved me some cusin' with the heads-up. :cheers:

Meist,

Diffy holds 1.43 qts..........

but if your like me, you just put enough in to reach the top fill plug - once it starts dripping out - you know you've got enough :lol:

Torque on those drain/fill plugs on the diffy are 39 ft. lbs..................

Here's what I used for the pump..........

Good Job!!!!

post-4-1083596011.jpg

Those are great pics!!!! They don't look that expensive. Should have had one yesterday. Ended up filling it until the fluid was running out. When I first took the top fill plug off (to empty the fluid) I noticed a small stream running out and the sysem seemed to have been under a little pressure???? Anyway that oil is heavy and stinks. Trying to turn the plastic quart was a pain. Turns out Vavoline had a cut off tip at the top so when you actally turn the bottle sideways very little will run out. Then you just put the tip in the hole and blow it in there.