AWD for Florida driver

I'm kicking tires for a newer RX  and spotted an RX450h AWD and would like to know if AWD models have been as reliable as standard FWD models? Is gas mileage affected severely or any horror stories to share? My driving is all done in Florida so snow isn't an issue but lots of rain in summer months.

Usually the mileage difference is about 1 mpg.  AWD will give the car much more stability in wet roads.  Welcome aboard, so are you thinking of getting rid of your RX400h?

My main concern is the mileage & still running on the original spark plugs.  A lower mileage vehicle with some upgrades like smart key etc. are appealing.

your comments are giving me second thoughts though.... 🤔

The plugs were due at 120k miles, But if you want to know, I have 237k miles on my original plugs, I have planned to replace them for about a year, but family things have stopped me.

I have the plugs and the procedure sucks as you have to remove the intake manifold to get the rear plugs.  I would like the newer features of collision avoidance, etc.  As for smart key, I could take it or leave it.  funny I had to make a 300 mile emergency trip yesterday, and man I still love this car, I find it the best car I have ever  owned and I have had British cars, german cars, Hondas, Fords, Chevrolets, Toyotas, and an RX300.  The Rx400h is a beautiful, powerful, and long distance favorite.  Good luck in your quest.  Also in my state, keeping the old one going is cheaper registration, wise and not having a car payment is king.

237k on plugs is mind boggling to me. I guess that I won't rush to change my plugs but when/if I do i will change coils too as preventive maintenance since they aren't costly and hard to access (same as plugs).

I'm eyeing a '13 FWD for $18k+ 81k miles but hate parting with the cash.. A lot can be said for having a "Paid in full" car like my '08 LOL

Cheers

Yes 237k miles is crazy, and I am not happy about it.  Iridium plugs are the best I have ever seen in my life.  I started this journey on cars back in 1965 and remember plugs only lasting 10k miles.  With unleaded gas and alloys like iridium there is no end.

Oh yes I remember those days all too well, Plugs, Points, & Condenser @ 10k or less.

How about the Hybrid system in your '08, any problems as you approach 1/4 million miles?

PS, 1965 a good year as I finished an 8 year stint in Uncle Sam's Air Force.

So far no issues, but at this mileage the vehicle is pretty much not work much even though it is in excellent condition.  I figure drive it till it dies, if the battery goes I would consider replacing with aftermarket repairer with warranty.  No car payment is king.  Thank you for your service, I am a 8 year Navy Veteran.

Thanks and thank you for your service as well. I decided against the '12 AWD but will be watching for a deal on a newer RXh and in the meantime maintain my '08. Based on your experience, there shouldn't be a rush to replace plugs.

Cheers