Lexus Wreck!

JTWilson23

Hey guys, this weekend was pretty bad for my LS. I was travelling at about 40 miles an hour when I came upon a small turn. I had bad tires and was just about to order new ones, so I didnt have much traction. Also, the roads were very slippery from a rain. Anyway, I lost control and turned around with my front passenger side corner hitting the guardrail first, followed by the back passenger side corner. The front didnt take much of a hit, but the back is pretty bad. The whole back corner is pushed in over a foot. The guard rail was tall enough to push pretty much everything on the whole corner in. The front only received a shattered headlight and some sheetmetal damage. In the back, I am pretty sure that the frame was exposed and that it did receive some damage. The car has 171,000 miles on it and every option that was available. So, I am wondering, any ideas on if the car will be totaled, as it is 13 years old with 171,000 miles. Also, if the car is not totaled, and it is repaired, will the frame damage be a big deal in resale? Also, if it is not totaled and the insurance company cuts a check for repairs, does this money have to go towards repairs or not. I am only wondering because I am not sure that I would want to try to resale a car that had been in this kind of accident. I will try to get some pictures up as soon as I can. Thanks for your help.

I doubt the chassis is bent. It sounds like you have a couple of bad doors and fenders. Put up some pictures on the server so that we can get a better look at it.

What a bummer. Sorry to hear about the crash.

Based on your description of the damage and my exerience in 2000 when my 90 LS was hit in the right rear, I would guess that your damage is two to four times the book value of your LS. Back then my car barely avoided being totaled by the insurance company - the total repair cost was over $10K. The adjustor did not see the sticker on the door jam that documented that the odometer had been replaced and that the car really had about 150K on the clock. And additional hidden damage was discovered as the car was being repaired and the price when up and up. Even the wood panel on the console was cracked by the force of the impact.

I don't know how your insurance company will handle this claim. If the car is not totaled, the check may be make out to you and the body shop that fixes it. There is no "frame" on these cars. Good bodyshops have equipment that can perfectly straighten the structure of a car. My 90 LS drove just as great after it was repaired as before although I later discovered a small crack in the opposite side wheel well that might evenually have lead to rust. The worst part of my experience was that the bodyshop apparently threw away many of the clips that held trim and insulation in place - I guess they did not think that anyone would notice.

These are such great cars. It is always sad to see their lives end prematurely.

JTWilson23: I'm really sorry to hear that. I love the color of your car in&out.

I didn't quite understand your situation. So, you were going straight and came up upon a stop or intersection [lets say] and you slowed down but you lost control and turned all the way around, making a U turn or 180 degree turn. In other words blended in with the on coming traffic?

Did your LS have any suspension problems or anything like that? Because this is very serious, that the tires had such a big impact that you lost control [without getting hit by anything].

The reason why I'm asking you is that because [like we all know that the suspension&handling on these cars are very sensitive] my Dad doesn’t listen to me; even our mechanic has told him where&how the tires are caved in but he thinks that they are alright for now!! I think the reason why is that the tires that are on the car right now are $92 each and $368 for all 4. This is to my dad: :chairshot:

Thanks for the responses. There wasn't actually a turn in the road, it was just a slight bend. I wasn't very clear on that. But, like I said it had been raining and the tires were in need of replacement. So, as I came into this bend the car turned around and did go the opposite direction as the front right corner hit the guard rail lightly and then the back right corner took the beating as it slammed into the guard rail. That is where the most damage is. From right at where the gas filler is to the end of the tail light on the back of the car, by the break for the license plate, the whole corner is pushed in about a foot or so. I will try to get pics up soon. But, I still would like to know, if the car isn't totaled, and the insurance company pays for repairs, do I have to use this money to repair the car, or could I sell the car to a junkyard and put the money towards a new LS? I am only concerned becuase I feel I would have a much harder time selling the car after this kinda of damage, and becuase I am not a fan of a car with a lot of bodywork. No matter how good the work is, it can never be as good as the factory. Thanks so much for your responses!!

please review this thread:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=8401&

I was hit from behind by a nissan van which caused a $10500 estimated damages. insurance did pay me $11K for the total-loss.

looked at the pictures I posted, maybe you can compare it to your damages and have a ideal how much it can cost to repair.

hope your are physically all right, and a much better luck in dealing with insurance company.

What speed were you doing? Depending on the insurance company: some cut the check to you, some to the repair shop. By the description, it may not be that bad. If so, should keep the car and repair to as good as new B) Good luck !

Thanks for your responses. I was going the posted speed limit which was 40 mph. As I said, it was a very slight turn, and I was already well into the turn before it lost control. But, I did not slow down at all once it started to slide. So, after the light front hit, the back did hit at a pretty high speed. I know, I would like it to be as good as new, but I just hate the idea of a the whole back right corner being put back together by a body shop. I should find out more today.

Sorry about your car. The insurance company will total the car without any doubt. I'd take the money and look for another one. I see lots of nice old LS400 s around for sale.

Good luck

PS Cars with posi come around quick don't they!

Very ironic. Just this morning, my uncle lost control of his 03' Nissan Frontier Supercharged 4WD Quad Cab truck and crashed it. He has been having problems with the steering (Vibrations) that Nissan has been unable to repair. It only has 25K and has had a severe vibration since brand new. I guess they will total it out now. Luckily, he or his daughter were not injured.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Good that there was no injuries.

Hey guys, I got pics of the car today. But, they are too big to post on here. Email me at blawilso@indiana.edu if you would like to see. I am really interested to see what the insurance has to say. I should know more tomorrow.

mormally pictures from digital camera or scanner are to big a size (closed to 1-Meg if 1800x1200) to post.

fire up your favorate photo editing program and reduce resolution to 800x600 or 600x800 and save the file as JPG format with 75% compresion, that usually can reduce a typical photo to around 100k which you will have no problem to post.

well, I upload my pictures on my own website, then just add the picture link by clicking the 'IMG' button when you do a post or reply.

if you don't have a site you can upload, then you can also post it to LOC's image gallery and use that picture link (right click the picture, 'property', and copy the ULR address, then paste it to the address box after clicking 'IMG' button.

well, it's pretty bad alright! I would say it is very close to the $10500 damage on my old 94 (w/118K) if not over.

if you had full coverage, insurance will certainly call it a total-loss based on a 91 w/171K.

use KBB retail price (make sure all optional equipments are counted in) + local sales tax should be settlement offer for the total-loss. fight them if any offer less than that amount.

any1 knows it matters to insurance settlement for single vehicle accident?

good luck in searcking another LS!

You took a hard lick on that. Sorry to say it's a total. The good news is that the parts are probably worth more than the car if you buy it back. How often do you see a wrecked Lexus laying around?

Glad you were not hurt, you can always get another car.