Outside rear view mirror

DT3

Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. 2017 RX350. I'm trying to set my outside rearview mirrors to the automatic mode so that they open and close based on the vehicle being locked or unlocked. The manual says to just hit the "Auto" button and that's it. Well it doesn't make any difference what I do as far as the doors being locked or unlocked. I've tried them in park, reverse, and drive and they do nothing when in the auto mode. They work fine manually. Any ideas?

Are you the original owner?  If so, has the Auto button ever worked?  If you are not the original owner, see the Customization section of your owners manual which shows that the exterior mirror Auto button can be disabled by a Lexus dealer.

A prior owner could have requested that the Auto feature be turned off.  Some people are paranoid about wearing out the mirror retraction motors and would rather control them manually only when they need to retract them.  Replacing the retraction motors is fairly expensive and early versions were prone to failure after a few years.    A problem I've had is the exterior mirrors freezing in the retracted position in ice storms; the retraction motors were unable to overcome the ice and return the mirrors to the extended position while making a nasty noise.  I try to remember to not retract the mirrors when I park outside and icy weather is forecast. 

• 1 month later...

Here's what I found out about the outside mirrors retracting: First they will only retract if all doors are closed, therefore they will not retract using the lock button on the inside of the door. They will retract using 3 different locking methods - -1. close all doors and use the keyless FOB, 2. close all doors and use the detention in the door handle to lock them, 3. close all doors and with the tailgate door open press the close button twice--the door will close, then lock the doors, then retract the mirrors.