96 LS400 misfiring issues

goodwillhinton

I have recently inherited a 96 LS 400 from my father and am having some misfiring issues. Car started idling very roughly and spewing smoke a week or so ago. Engine light came on and my repair guy said that codes showed cylinders 4, 6, 8 were misfiring. He replaced original cap, rotor, and spark plugs. Now codes are showing misfires on 6 and 8 but the problem is intermittent. He said that it may be a computer issue and I might need to have the dealer look at this. Thoughts? I don't really want to put much more money into such an old car but also don't want to give up on it if it isn't too difficult to resolve. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

• 2 months later...

Could it be the coils? I had the exact same issue with my 2001 Lexus RX 300 and an old 1995 Isuzu Trooper, the coils were replaced and that fixed the issue. Both times I bought used coils from a wrecking yard. I just made sure the coils were from lower mileage cars.