ringtone

Center console button lights sometimes work at night

As I mentioned above, sometimes my center console lights are on and sometimes the lights are off at night. It makes for finding the buttons a bit hard. I have a 2004 LS430. When the lights are working, the dimmer knob on the left side of the steering wheel does dim all those lights. I am talking about the lights around the console screen, the radio, and the a/c. Here are my observations. There is a light sensor somewhere that changes whether the screen is in day or night mode. Day mode has black lettering on a white background for the screen. Night mode has white lettering on a black background. I have noticed a connection with the lights not working and the screen going into Day mode when it is clearly nighttime. Any ideas?

definitely sounds like a loose connection.

You could try tapping/lightly banging areas of the dashboard or switchgear until it lights up then at least you'll know the rough area it may have a loose connection

I tried banging around. I could not get the lights to flicker on demand. How would I get behind the screen to check connections?

it could well be....maybe worth removing it to see if you could bridge across the connectors to get the dash lights permanently illuminated on full power.

If so, then measuring across the terminals of the resistor would confirm whether the switch is at fault