Center console button lights sometimes work at night

ringtone

As I mentioned above, sometimes my center console lights are on and sometimes the lights are off at night. It makes for finding the buttons a bit hard. I have a 2004 LS430. When the lights are working, the dimmer knob on the left side of the steering wheel does dim all those lights. I am talking about the lights around the console screen, the radio, and the a/c. Here are my observations. There is a light sensor somewhere that changes whether the screen is in day or night mode. Day mode has black lettering on a white background for the screen. Night mode has white lettering on a black background. I have noticed a connection with the lights not working and the screen going into Day mode when it is clearly nighttime. Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

There is a day/night sensor on the dash. Look for a plastic dome. It became unreliable. All I had to do was replace it. I found the part on ebay. The change took some time because I had to remove the center console from the buttom up. I even had to pull out the nav screen. Even then I still had trouble due to the amount of stuff there. I used a snake to get the wires up to the hole by the defroster.

• 1 year later...

I am still having an issue with the day/night capability. At night the car thinks it is daytime as far as the nav screen is concerned. I find that kicking the fusebox by the driver fixes the problem. Any idea what kicking the fusebox does? Is there a particular fuse or relay in the box that works the day/night circuitry?