BeachBumForever

Replacing 2003 ES300 struts - suggestions

2003 ES300 - 209,000 miles

I have developed a "clunk" that seems to be coming from the passenger side trunk area when hitting a pothole or pavement change. First thought is a strut or mount going/gone bad so will probably replace all 4 struts. Need suggestions on whether to use OEM parts or aftermarket parts and sources. I prefer a smooth ride versus performance handling. Suggestions on the parts and process appreciated. Should the struts be replaced BEFORE or AFTER a full alignment? The work will be done by a shop, not by yours truly.

Struts are discussed all the time, but my choice is KYB struts and OE mounts....Have put them on RX300 and RX400h and a GMC Yukon....Love these struts. the knock noise is probably broken mount, but could also be a damaged stabilizer bar mount....

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By leakeya
      Hi everyone,
      My 1999 Gs (179k) makes this creaking noise when I am turning at low speeds or if I am braking at really low speed like while backing up. It’s also kind of unpredictable. Sometimes it won’t happen, and it’ll go away and then the next time I make the same turn it will happen.  I doesn’t really affect performance at higher speed although above 60 MPH i experience quite a bit of play. 

my Mechanic said I need a full control arm swap and quoted me $1900 for OEM parts. He also said it’s not gonna fall apart anytime soon, but to replace it depending on how much I love the car. (I love her a lot, hence this post) However, I have been reading online a lot about how it could just be one ball joint, so I’m thinking about getting a second opinion. I am also wondering if anyone has any input on whether or not swapping the control arms, all 6 of them, would help reduce the amount of steering play I have. 

Any thoughts on doing aftermarket control arms? Has anyone had a similar experience?

I appreciate any responses:)

thanks, 
    • By MechanicalMariner
      Hi everyone,
      I recently acquired a 1999 Lexus ES300 from a craigslist seller who had removed the TRAC OFF and Check Engine Light bulbs from the instrument panel. I found this out when I went to get my car smog checked and upon investigation, it was pretty obvious that the instrument panel had been tampered with. 
      When I took everything apart this past weekend I was able to clear three of the five codes that were present but the ones that came back were these knock sensor fails/malfunctions. I believe my problem is that I replaced the OEM sensors with $25 junk from amazon. When it comes to these knock sensors, I've learned that they are incredibly sensitive and if they are not detecting the exact frequencies that the ECU is searching for it will probably throw the CEL. 
      The problem with these codes is that they will put your vehicle into "limp" mode and disable OD. Since I'm already in too deep to just flip this vehicle out of my life, I've decided to bite the bullet and purchase the OEM sensors for $160+ ea. I'll post an update to the forum when I complete the installation this weekend. 
      Hopefully this will help someone having similar problems down the line.
      Cheers!
    • By Supradi
      Selling 4 used stock wheels and tires from my LS400. These must go like yesterday. Only asking $150, local pickup only (DC, MD, VA area)

• By Strappedforkash
      I'm ordering KYB GR-2/Excel-G's for replacement on my 2006 ES330 that has AVS .  I am replacing the mounts as well. 

1) Is there any reason to replace the coil spring insulators and the front coil spring seats?  

2) Does anyone sell the KYB Excel-G's fully loaded with springs for the ES330? I haven't found them. (They do show them for 2006 Camry)

3) Will the 2006 Camry KYB excel-G fully loaded application work on the 2006 ES330?  If so, do they need to be ordered for the 4 or 6 cylinder?  They show different part numbers.

Thanks.
    • By BBLexux
      I am a new owner of a 2006 SC 430...I am seeking replacement shocks from KYB, Bilstein or other aftermarket Gas struts...I know that the 2002-2005 does not fit..Any answers out there?