Temp gauge

little al

G'day fellas, On my 97 pre VVT LS400 I've just finished changing a starter motor, new plugs and leads and a new water temp sensor. Cleaned the intake plenum, intake manifold, ports and throttle body. put it back together and fired her up last night. Everything went perfect except I now have a non operational temp gauge. My question is where to start to diagnose the problem? is the temp gauge signal taken from the water sensor I  replaced or from another location. I fitted an OEM water temp sensor # 89422-20010 and DID fit the wiring plug correctly. Your collective thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,  Little Al. 

Hi Alan

There is a separate temperature SENDER unit which is different to the temperature SENSOR.

Usually located around the thermostat housing area to get a true reading from the engine.

Maybe worth visually tracking over your work to see if it has been left unplugged (single wire terminal)

Trevor,

Thanks for the info. You were correct, I had not connected the temp sender wire. It is a bugger of a thing to locate and even more difficult to fit the connector when the entire loom is in situ. The sender unit is tucked in behind the plastic spark plug channel. Done now, so everything is fine. Thanks again,

Alan. 

• Like 2