2007 GS350 - Engine Oil Level Low message on dash

Hello Forum

I am pretty frustrated with a recent issue I have discovered in my wife's car of 137,000 miles. After driving the car approximately 1200 miles she was getting a Engine Oil Level Low message on her dash.  Being the preventative guy that I am, I figured it is a good idea to top it.  But after reading some forums I began to worry that the problem could be bigger than expected.  Recently I had an oil change done at the dealership and asked them to do an oil consumption test on the car and miraculously the car made it to 1,647 before the Engine Oil Level Low message came up on the dash.  The dealership tells me that it ONLY lost 1.1 quarts of oil in that time.

Now to my question, can this be a faulty Oil Sensor that is firing erroneous messages to the dash?

*Side note, as soon as I asked for an appraisal for the car, WOW did they jump all over my car and tell me how they loved this model... ughhh 

• 5 months later...

Its possible the dealer did not put enough oil in the car after the oil change, therefore was on borderline medium or low level, not the full level.   Its entirely possible to burn 1 quart of oil every 2-3k miles. 

The low engine oil sensor will light up when it is about 2.5 quarts low from the full line

• 2 years later...

Did you follow these steps, exactly?

1. Turn the ignition to run, one position before starting engine.

2. Press the “DISP” switch to change the multi-information display to blank.

3. Turn the ignition off.

4. While pressing the trip meter reset button, set the engine switch to run, one position before starting engine.

5. Keep pushing the “RESET” switch for more than 7 seconds.

6. While doing this operation, the master warning light comes on, a warning tone sounds and the OIL MILEAGE RESET message appears to inform you that light has been reset. After 5 seconds, the system reset is completed.

7. Turn the ignition off and then start the engine to verify the indicator has been reset.

• Like 1