Problems With 95 Es300 At 50,000 Miles

I am the sole owner of of 95 ES300. It now has just under 50000 miles on it. I took it into the dealership because the radio and air conditioner suddenly failed. The dealership in Santa Monica said that my car, for which I have NEVER had problems, needed it 60,000 mile tune-up, $70.00 to fix the failed radio and air conditoner, and then "discovered" another $1200 worth of repairs, including grease spilling from the right rear axle. I paid for the repairs, which cost a total of $2200. As I was LEAVING the dealership, the 'check engine" light went on. Now the dealership is saying that it will cost me another $420.00 to have it fixed because the "cooling system" which was working fine when I brought my car into be repaired, fell apart as I was leaving the dealtership.

Does this sound like the type of repairs a 95 ES300 should experience with this low mileage, or has this dealership decided to churn me as a way to beef up profits?

discuss this with the service manager and the general manager of the dealership.

Inspecting the cooling system and replacing the coolant is part of the 60k service.

Since you just dumped $2200 into their pockets, they should at least meet you half way on this one. They may have knicked something or dislodged something. God forbid they created the malfunction to get more business. Speak to them with a raised eyebrow (suspicious kinda). Call the 800-25-LEXUS number and tell them about it.

Couple questions:

1. what was wrong with the AC/radio.....fuse maybe?

2. what did they say was wrong with the "cooling system" that requires $420 to repair. If it was fine going in and "fell apart" going out....something doesn't sit right with me. But I'm am not there and cannot view the car.

Not too mention I am as cynical as they come. <_<

steviej

So let me get this right, you went into your dealership for, and agreed to several orders, one of which was an inspection that included the cooling system. Upon leaving the dealership, your check engine light came on, you went back into the service area, they checked your car, and they told you something was wrong with the cooling system, correct? My first response to the service manager, (you are speaking to him, right? Everyone else is just a middleman) after having an aneurism, would be to question the credibility of him and the entire dealership. You paid for a service that was not preformed properly at all; what is the probability that an entire inspection of any system was completed, given a clean bill of health, and before leaving the driveway "fell apart"? Possible, sure. Possible, but highly unlikely. I would urge him, if he has any interest in customer satisfaction at all, to agree to a complete repair of the cooling system free of charge. Why? He (the technician, that is) failed to perform the inspection that could have stranded you miles down the road; that is what an inspection is supposed to prevent in the first place! Good Luck, keep us informed.