Lexus dealer required?

knic27

I have a 2013 Lexus 350RX and a mechanic told me I had to get one of the back shocks replaced. I called the dealership near me and their quote for replacing it is about $350 more than the mechanic who identified the problem. Is this something that I should have the dealership, which is dedicated to Lexus take care of, or would it be okay for the mechanic to do this and save the $350.

Sure, have an indie mechanic replace it if it really needs it.  There's nothing magical about Lexus dealer service departments except for their high prices and wonderful waiting rooms.  I rarely used Lexus dealers for service during the 24 years I drove Lexus LS sedans although the indie shops I used were owned and staffed by former Lexus dealer employees. 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

A dealer is not a requirement for most repairs.  I recently  had some work done on my 430 sc by a Toyota Dealer with great results.  Their quoted price was actually a little less than my regular private shop.  I got great service from the dealer.  I rarely use those words in the same sentence.