96 ls400 with water in the trunk please help

2smokey

I just boight this can snd iv noticed the bacl trunk sides are takin in alot of water snd even the spart tire .i pulled out these tubes on the back left and right that are supposed to drain water but there not doing s thing at alll.whwre can this be comjng from?please help

IMG_3062.JPG

IMG_3063.JPG

The trunk lid seals becomes depressed and stiff and allow increasing amounts of water into the trunk as they age.  I had similar problems with water coming into the trunk on both the 1990 LS400 I bought new and sold in 2003 and on the 2000 LS400 I bought used in 2003 and sold in 2014.

While my 1990 LS400 was under warranty, something like "re-seal trunk" appeared on my bill almost every time I took the car in for service although I was never charged anything for it.

I don't remember anyone reporting the problem on the LS430 so maybe it was solved by then.  I suppose you could replace the trunk lid gasket but it might still leak some.

• 1 month later...

There is a small circle shape rubber underneath the spare tire, you can pull it out to drain the water. A car hit lightly on the rear passenger side of my car to set the seal off causing water to get in. You may want to check the rear lights to see if any seal is knocked off.

• 1 month later...

I had this problem with my  '93 LS 400.  After some time parked under a tree it had water in the spare wheel well, and dampness in the carpet & trim at the front RHS of the trunk.
Note this is in Australia so the car is a RHD version.

I cleaned all debris away from the channels & seals, and dried out the carpet, trim & wheel well.

After the next rainstorm water had returned in the same places.

I then discovered a drain just below the fuel filler inlet.  It was blocked, at both ends as it turned out (it drains out just behind the rear wheel).
After cleaning the drain tube and drying everything again, the problem has not returned.

I suspect that during the storms, the rain had entered around the fuel filler flap and, unable to drain fast enough because of the blocked drain and the close fit of the filler flap to the body, it built up in the filler compartment until it rose above the black rubber membrane around the filler tube.  It thus overflowed into the trunk and trickled down into the wheel well.  If you have this problem it's a quick job that's worth a try.