tcarroll2

2016 LS460 Cruise Control Issue

I recently traded up from a 2007 LS 460 to a 2016 LS 460.  This new car has the radar controlled cruise control on it.  I use it primarily while driving in town because of all the dumb drivers.  It has worked great.  However, yesterday I was behind a car that kept breaking in front of me and the radar cruise did exactly as it had been designed to do.  However, on the last occurance the car in front of me was turning.  Normally it takes way too long for the car to accelerate back to the cruising speed so I help it out a little by pressing the accelerator manually (without cancelling the cruise control).  When I did this yesterday the vehicle accelerated just fine, but when I got to about 6-7mph from the set cruise speed I let up on the accelerator to allow the car to achieve the set cruise speed on its own.  However, once the cruise speed was achieved the car continued to accelerate on its own.  I had the cruise set to 48mph in a 40mph speed zone.  I finally had to cancel the cruise setting manually when the car reached 60mph.  When I resumed the setting the car began slowing down and resumed the 48mph set cruising speed with no further issue.

Has anyone else experienced this?  The car barely has 18,000 miles on it and is still under factory warranty.  Should I be taking this to a dealership, or is it just a fluke?

Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC) is not perfect.  We have it in all our vehicles and it sometimes gets confused and malfunctions in a variety of ways with the worst being hard braking for no apparent reason - that's when I clean off the radar unit and the grill lens ahead of it with a damp towel.

Even with the occasional issues, I absolutely love DRCC.  I had a rental car without adaptive cruise control last week and not having it drove me crazy.

I suppose you could complain to your car dealer about the malfunction but that never got me anywhere when I did.  DRCC does not make a car self driving - the driver still needs to be always ready to intervene.

Totally agree with your assessment. I drove an 18 Rav 4 that acted exactly the same way as the 18 RX. My own solution to the nasty braking habit is this: Whenever I resume the use / change the cruise speed, I first rest my foot on the accelerator. If the vehicle attempts to brake, a very quick application of the accelerator cause the brakeing to cease.  The system goes back to normal predictive cruise.

That said:  I don’t recommend experimenting with any kind of corrective actions until you, the owner, fully understands the actions and re-actions of your cruise systems.  You are the captain of your ship. Know your equipments behavior, actions, and reactions...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By wineluver
      2007 ES350 with 180K........while accelerating have motor vibration. Also if at speed, any speed,  any increase on the pedal and get vibration. Seems to be getting worse since first noticed a number of months ago. Recent tire rotation and balance, alienment, new struts all around. Mechanic says could be motor mount(s). How to verify which mount, or should all be replaced? Does engine have to be pulled? Any idea the cost? And last, if it is a motor mount, what's worse case if I do nothing?
    • By AKP
      Bought a 2007 ES350, in great condition, but it stutters occasionally. That is, when I depress the accelerator, it doesn't respond or it hesitates before responding. Not sure how to address this issue. It's not severe, but don't want a dealer trip if it is something simple. Actually not sure it's acceleration or transmission. Bother!
    • By onnomvansanten
      From one day to the next my cruise control system does not work. When I engage it by pressing the button following message is displayed "Check Cruise System"
      It does not respond to pressing forward (to disengage the radar control and just go to regular - which I mostly use) or any variant thereof. so I am thinking that it could be a fuse. But my owners manual does not show what fuse it involved and where it is located, so maybe someone here know which would save me from checking every single fuse in the car.
      If you have any other solution....................please do say so. Lexus dealer is good, but they are waaaaaay overpriced (I was quoted 1050+ tax for a replacement of auto levelling sensor - did it myself for 305 in 15 minutes)
      Thank you very much
    • By MikesMom
      My mom is drives a 2013 LS460. She's a young 79 and pretty healthy. The other day she was pulling out of a parallel parking spot and rear-ended the car in front of her. There was a fair amount of damage indicating a pretty decent impact.
      She is not 100% sure what happened as she was pretty shaken (mentally) by the incident. But she said something about either the car not stopping and/or surging forward. My initial thought was she had tried to step on the brake and hit the wrong pedal, but she SWEARS that was not the case.
      I've done some research online and seen that there have been issues with this brand and hesitation on acceleration, etc. I'm curious if this incident may be tied to that or any other known lexus issues.
      Any and all input on this will be appreciated.
    • By topgun129
      Hi All,

I noticed when driving my 99 ES300 this morning there was some slight
      sluggishness and hesitation when accelerating from idle. It didn't feel
      like a smooth acceleration. The car has 128K on it and I did the trans.
      fluid flush like 20K miles ago. One thing *I think* is occurring also is
      the car is going thru gas faster than usual. Not sure if the 2 issues
      are interrelated. There are no check engine lights on.

Any suggestions what the problem might be? I was going to do the following:

1. Disconnect the battery for a few minutes to reset the computer

2. Check for cracks in the connected area between air filter and MAF.

3. Clean the throttle body (any recommended cleaning products?)

Also is it safe to drop a fuel injector cleaner into the gas tank? If so which brand/product do you recommend?

Anything else that comes to mind would be appreciated.

Thanks!