Hot Key And Ignition

I just came home this evening, turned the car('92 SC400) off, pulled out the key and it was HOT. I mean HOT. I thought that was weird, so I touched the tip of my finger to the place where you put the key in(the ignition switch I guess it's called) and it was hot as hell too. This is in the evening in Los Angeles, and it was fairly cool outside. Is my wiring going to burn up? I just bought the car a few weeks ago, and had to spend a ton of money on the water pump and timing belt($1000). I love the car, and it's gorgeous, I just hope it's not going to nickel and dime me to death. I read through a lot of these posts and sort of wonder about all of the maintenance issues. I just got rid of a Camry that I had for a few years and it NEVER(not once) broke. I changed the oil, and I think I had brakes put on the front, but that was it. No, I don't want the Camry back! I'm just a little worried. So yeah, what's up with the hot key? Is there anything I can do to ward off a costly problem? Or is this normal?

I've not noticed my key getting hot to the touch. I would start by checking ground connections. Aside from that, not sure what to tell you. Keep an eye on it, possible a quality electronics shop can help you a little more. That is a new one to me.

Here's a possibility, although I don't know how likely it may be.

Perhaps the previous owner replaced the bulb that illuminates the ignition switch with a higher wattage version. Higher wattage = more heat. Maybe you should check to see if the bulb is stock.

Tom

I don't think that my ignition switch is illuminated, but I could be wrong. I have four other keys on a simple round metal keyholder. I'll take the car in to the mechanic tomorrow, since it needs a new coolant overflow reservoir as well. And the air does not blow cold(or even cool!). And I will have to have the driver's seat redone(which I didn't notice when I bought the car). But, it is a looker, has 78,000 miles, perfect garnet paint, no dents or scratches. My girlfriend actually screamed when she saw the car. She was so happy that I got rid of my "old man's car"(the Camry). I'm just hoping that after the initial problems are dealt with, I'll get a breather and enjoy the car without laying out lots of cash. I'm a teacher, small money, street parking, no way to do any work myself. Thanks for the replies!

4_keys

On some cars overly heavy keys cause the ignition tumbler to wear causing a car to stall or get the switch very hot as there is slight arcing like a spark plug . Other possibilities are that you did not get the key perfectly in line when you turned it forward and it is arcing on the contacts aswell. I did this on my civic once and had to replace the contacts of the tumbler as it wore them out from arcing.

I just came home this evening, turned the car('92 SC400) off, pulled out the key and it was HOT. I mean HOT.

Funny that you're new here and from L.A. w/ a '92 SC400 -- go read my recent post about "Heat at the Feet". Same year car and the hot key is another symptom that I totally forgot about!

We should stay in touch especially if you find that you're experiencing heat at the firewall by the driver's feet. And if you wind up at a recommended shop let me know how it goes!

Weird...

CJ Green