threepwood

92 LS400 Coincidence? I don't think so but maybe

My 92 was doing crazy things.  I pulled the ECU and replaced it with a junk yard part and it continued to do crazy things. Per suggestions here I bought the capacitors and replaced all the capacitors in BOTH ECUs.  In general car started running fine again.  But after about 100 miles of driving I got a check engine light, error code 17 - #1 cam position sensor.  Checked all wiring and resistance of sensor.  All good.  Cleared error and it stayed gone for about another 100 miles.  Replaced ECU with the junk yard version that i had also replaced all the capacitors in.  Same result.  Runs fine, after about 100 miles error 17.  Clear it and it's gone for another 100 miles.  Did NOT have this issue before the ECU went nuts.  Took both ECUs out and resoldered every capacitor.  Made no difference.  I just can not believe the sensor is bad coincidentially after replacing the capacitors -  any thoughts?  Thanks.  PS - car runs fine with the error code.  In fact, once when I forgot to clear it after another 50 miles or so it cleared itself (which  I did not think was possible?) and then came back again after another 100 miles or so.

Things do happen coincidentally sometimes. Why not just purchase a used cam sensor and see what happens.