Power steering and smoking

frprof

Please is there any connection between leaking power steering and smoking. My power steering fluid first began to short. Then smoke at first start.

Now, fluid does not retain at all and I haven’t seen any leaking spot. Smoking is very constant as if from the Engine yet engine oil does not short. Please any connection between the two faults?

Yes, there is a direct connection.

What has likely failed is the idle air control valve, which screws into the bottom of the power steering pump and connects to the intake manifold.  It helps maintain engine idle when the power steering is turned full lock.  Part number is 17630-16040. $80-ish online.  When they've failed, I've lost power steering fluid and had it go out the exhaust as nasty-smelling automatic transmission fluid smoke.

It can be changed in situ in a early LS (at least that's how I've done it on the two LSes I've owned).  Car up on stands, remove plastic pan, disconnect battery, remove serpentine belt, remove alternator, then remove this from the bottom of the PS pump.  A bit of a pain getting it broken loose, as well as getting it tightened back in place.  But once done, it should be fixed for a long time.

I've heard of people removing the valve, plugging the vacuum lines and putting a correctly sized bolt in place of the valve, but I didn't go that route.

Hope this helps-
Paul

Thanks so much Paul.

I am so grateful to you and this forum. I did the blocking off and it worked out. No smoking anymore. Steering is very free. Car moves smith again.

I appreciate this forum that has made me continue driving my Lexus. God bless you all

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
On 8/30/2018 at 9:32 PM, LSPaul said:

Yes, there is a direct connection.

What has likely failed is the idle air control valve, which screws into the bottom of the power steering pump and connects to the intake manifold.  It helps maintain engine idle when the power steering is turned full lock.  Part number is 17630-16040. $80-ish online.  When they've failed, I've lost power steering fluid and had it go out the exhaust as nasty-smelling automatic transmission fluid smoke.

It can be changed in situ in a early LS (at least that's how I've done it on the two LSes I've owned).  Car up on stands, remove plastic pan, disconnect battery, remove serpentine belt, remove alternator, then remove this from the bottom of the PS pump.  A bit of a pain getting it broken loose, as well as getting it tightened back in place.  But once done, it should be fixed for a long time.

I've heard of people removing the valve, plugging the vacuum lines and putting a correctly sized bolt in place of the valve, but I didn't go that route.

Hope this helps-
Paul

Hi, i am new to this forum, really desperate for some kind help please.  I have a leak and have managed to find where the actual leak is after some thorough cleaning. Not very mechanical and my mate who found it isn't too. I have a pic of the power steering area but don't know any names of parts...?Screenshot_20220221-183215.thumb.jpg.be4982471946ce30731cec698d3b5cf2.jpgScreenshot_20220221-183215.thumb.jpg.be4982471946ce30731cec698d3b5cf2.jpg

If your leak is coming from the control valve that's discussed above, the part your looking for is attached.  The part shown is for North American versions.  If you're in Europe, please check with your local dealership; I can't imagine they'd be different, but one never knows.

Untitled.jpg