Comparison Of Highlander To Rx330?

RX400h

I was wondering if anyone has compared te two vehicles directly. I know that the RXs have many more standard and available features, but what about ride, handling, and quietness?

The Highlander Hybrid may be introduced before the RX400h and I test-drove a Highlander today - very smooth ride and extremely quiet with fairly quick-ratio steering. Unfortunately, I have not been able to drive an RX330 yet, hence, the aforementioned questions. Both hybrids will have the same engine and HP output.

Thanks!

Just sitting in the two is no comparison, as with the Camry and the ES. The Highlander seems really nice until you get into the RX. The RX feels and is bigger, has much nicer materials, real wood and higher quality leather. Better instrumentation (Optitron) better stereo, smoother quieter ride. If you've got the money the Lexus is worth the wait. The RX is SUCH a nice vehicle, I always specify one when I put mine in for service.

Thanks, SW.

I drove the Highlander, but only sat in the RX330. I think that even the leather is different - RX's has soft, expensive-feeling leather and the Highlander is better suited for wiping up spilled baby formula. Still, since I'm # 2 on the Highlander Hybrid list and 15 and the RX400h list, I will at least check out the HH when it is introduced. However, we are heavily leaning towards the 400h for the reasons you mentioned. :cheers:

The difference is that you can get a $6000.00 off the list price from Camry but not on ES300. Now the question: how much dicount can you get form regular highlander and how much for Highlander h? Go for 400h if no dicount is offered for highlander h.

The consumer wins either way, as prices for the RX330 and regular Highlander will (or have) come down. This being the case, it doesn't make sense the Toyota to charge much more over retail of the standard versions for the hybrids. The question is three-fold:

1)How many miles do you drive?

2)How long will you keep your vehicle?

3)How much is it worth to you to NOT have to fill up every week?

Number three is similar to the question of whether to have caller ID at home in that I will gladly pay $6.00 per month to NOT have to listen to telemarketers. I also do not enjoy having to fill er up, especially with gas prices the way they are.

Consumer Reports magazine has made a few Camry-to-ES and Highlander-to-RX comparison observations over the years. You might get hold of some back issues and do some reading. I was provided both a loaner ES330 and RX330 in the past few weeks while my LS was in for minor warranty repairs and found that my observations on the two cars closely matched that of Consumer Reports.

Or you can join online and read all their observations on everything for like $4 a month thats what I do.

What were their findings, I don't remember...

I do receive CU and in their 2004 annual auto issue, they describe the Highlander this way:

"It's similar to the Lexus RX330, though roomier and less costly...... The Highlander is quiet and roomy, with a comfortable ride and easy-to-use controls. Handling is responsive and secure."

The RX330:

" The RX330 is our top-pick midsized SUV. The refined and responsive 230-hp, 3.3-liter V6 and smooth-shifting five-speed automatic work well. Handling is better than most traditional SUVs and considerably improved over its predecessor. Emergency handling is forgiving and secure, thanks to the standard stability- control system. The ride is very comfortable. The well-detailed interior is as plush and quiet as many luxury cars. The rear seat is roomy enough for three, but cargo capacity is limited."

Each vehicle was awarded the highest ratings for reliability, satisfaction, and depreciation.