Removal of oil pressure sending unit

hogheaven

Can anyone please tell me the easiest way to remove the oil pressure sending unit wire and unit from the block of my 2003 RX300????  I didnt want to have to remove the serpentine belt but its looking like I may have to???  And if i do remove the belt, do I have to reinstall to do a pressure check???  Thanks

1 minute ago, dcfish said:

Oh Yeah, Why do you need to run the test ? What are the issues ?

just the oil light coming on irratically, inconsistently.  Car was taken off road 2 years ago when light first came on.  Now trying to get it ready to go back on road.  First of many issues on this 185000 mile car.  Full of clean oil.  Wanted to run test before I drop the pan.  Pretty sure pickup may be clogged due to my brother owning it for 15 years and not maintaining it.  Not for sure of course.  I just finished removing Serpentine and wire from sending unit.  Have to find a 22mm to pull it.  Does serpentine have to go back on before I crank it back up?  Im pretty sure the answer is yes?

9 minutes ago, dcfish said:

Yes, Definitely replace the belt, Have you pulled a valve cover to check for oil sludge ? I think it was a known issue with the v6.

not yet, but if pressure is the issue and not the sending unit, then I will drop the pan or pull a cover next.  I found a 13/16 deep socket 6 point that I think will work on the sending unit.  A short 22mm wont do it I found.

2 minutes ago, dcfish said:

Good deal, How does the sensor look ? Can you measure resistance of the sensor ?

I will.  I havent yet.  I was trying to match threads with my test kit.  I definitely dont want to cross thread the block

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I replaced old sending unit with a new one, took pressure readings before and after I dropped the pan and cleaned the pick-up,  and took videos of both readings.  Before it was 40 at cold start and dwindled to 15psi after 5 min.  After cleaning pan and pick-up, and adding 5 quarts of 20/50, the pressure readings were 70 cold start dwindling down to 45 after 5 mins. So I took it for a spin last night and oil light still comes on.  I give up.  Maybe its the pump or maybe I just need to scrap the whole car??😭