Am I Draining The Battery?

93LSOwner

I read couple of posts saying that if you turn on the Remote system ON, you are going to drain the battery, in other words: Turning on the Remote system, will take a lot of battery power?

We had an aftermarket security system with unlock/lock system installed in our Camry 4 years ago, and there is no sign of the system eating the battery, or using it a lot that we have to change it. I don’t even know if my Dad even changed it.

I want to use my Remote system in my Lexus. I know that it only works if you are with in 3 feet of the car, but I’m getting tired of locking and unlocking it with the key.......3 reasons because 1. I’m just lazy. :P 2. Don’t want to scratch the car with the key :censored: . 3. Don't want to show that Lexus does not have a remote :blushing: [in the parking lot].

Help me out here.

(Neighbor)--I haven't ever not used it. Don't know about the battery--there is a blinking red lite; would think it would take weeks or months to run the battery down. The most I have let it set was about a week and it did allright after that.

Thanks for the extra quick feedback Richard. I asked my father, we bought the 1996 Camry used in 2000 and installed the security system after a week of purschase. So, the battery was already old and after 4 years we haven't changed it since. The security system probably works like the Lexus one since it has a remote.

it would take weeks or months to run the battery down

If so, then it is true that it drains the battery; by comparing it with the Camry.

We leave the remote on all the time. The car has sat for 15 or more days straight on several occasions and never drained the battery.

Good to hear. :D

When was the last time you changed the battery?

The remote system uses minimal battery power. You should not worry about it. There are many electrical components that continue to use battery power while the car is turned off. The remote barely uses any extra power. I leave mine on all the time and have never had a problem with it.

Cool guys. :D

I just read some posts that they do; so, I thought maybe it is a Lexus thing or something.

But thats great that we got it squared away. Now, I just need to search around to see what battery the key takes.

:cheers:

BR1216. Also, the "BR" can be "CR"; Radio Shack told me that it's a manufacturing thing(the CR1216 is working fine for me!). After, I changed the battery in my key for the ES, it worked much, much better than before. They say only 3ft., but mine works from 10-15ft. away. The battery should be no more than $3 at Radio Shack.

BR1216. Also, the "BR" can be "CR"; Radio Shack told me that it's a manufacturing thing(the CR1216 is working fine for me!). After, I changed the battery in my key for the ES, it worked much, much better than before. They say only 3ft., but mine works from 10-15ft. away. The battery should be no more than $3 at Radio Shack.

MANNNNNNN,

I just put my shoes on in the laundry room to go off to radio shack for the second time today, and then decided come back to check back in here to see if anybody responded.

Thankkkkkkkkkkkkk you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm glad it all work out well! :D

I love the beeping sound(and 2 light flashes when you lock) that the car makes! It's very different...Lexus/Toyota exclusive(maybe others have it, but I've only noticed it on Lex/Toy). I thought I was going to lose my mind when I first got my LS because the beeping was off(I never knew if the car was locked or unlocked!), and the switch is hidden very well near the brake pedal(unlike the 90-94). Luckily, I was poking around to see what was down there, and I found the switch! Horrray! :D

There is a beep when unlocking it then two beeps after locking it

93, your beeping pattern should be backward(both of my Lexi have this pattern...): 2beeps=unlocked and 1 beep=locked. ;)

It most likely is the other way around. When I came back I tested it when it was sitting in the garage and raining outside; so I didn't mess with it enough to memorize that.

love the beeping sound(and 2 light flashes when you lock) that the car makes!

The light flashes? What light are you referring to? Is that only in Gen. II. Or am I missing something :huh: .

I'll post the maximum distance that the key works in, tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

i must have missed this topic. Everyone's remote works up to 15' from the car?? When i first bought my car i thought that the battery was causing my to be so close to my car to lock/unlock. i replaced the battery myself and it didn't help. I really dont care about the distance because you are going to be walking to your car to get in anyway so what does it matter if you unlock it from a few feet farther? Even if many of you can unlock/lock from this distance, what could be causing me to be really close. I have a new battery in the key, under the hood, and the beeping sound turned all the way up so its not like it is unlocking and i just dont hear it.

Also, the flashing lights were introduced to the LS in 95 right? I have a 94 and no lights flash. If I am understanding what I read in previous posts then this is true. right?

I guess I have been in the dark as well. Does the 90 have a beep setting I can use? Although the remote works well, you do have to be with 6' or so. Besides, since it does NOT beep or anything, you have to listen for the actual click of the doors unlocking and locking. If there is a switch to turn on a beep on the 1990, please let mek know.

Thanks

Denny

if you really wanna impress ppl around you should get 2 way alarm with remote

check this out

www.compustar.org

this is what i got and it works up to 1.25 miles and it tells u if some1 touched ur car or if the door is opened and you can start your car anytime if its inthe radius. ppl can also page you by knockin on the special sensor on the windshield.

Wow, those are very nice remotes. Is this what you have VMF, in your cars. Do you know the prices of them? I didn't find the prices in the website you mentioned.

I just wanted to take advantage of something that was free and already availble. But, I would like to have the kind of alarms VMF mentioned in where the touching the car triggers the alarm and in where there are flashing lights.

its 350-500 with install

depends on the dealer. or youcanget one online but if you install urself ure not gettin a warranty. shop around in ur area.