jbaugh

TPMS won't reset after changing from winter to summer wheels

I have a 2017 Lexus RX350.  I bought a second set of rims and tires (from Discount Tires) for Winter driving. The first time I switched from the factory wheels to the Winter wheels the TPMS did not show a reading for the tires.  I tried to follow the user manual to reset the TPMS by navigating to the  Settings item and following the instructions.  I held down the center button until the TPMS icon blinked 3 times.  The monitor indicated that calibration was in progress.  Finally I took it to my Lexus dealer an hour's drive away for other servicing.  I asked them to reset the TPMS which they did.  They were going to charge me $70 or $80 to do this.  But as a gesture they did it for free.  Now I've just switched my wheels back to the stock summer wheels.  Same problem again.  Can't get TPMS to show any values for the tires.  Going through the calibration system in the owner's manual results in nothing.  Any ideas?  Am I going to have to have the Lexus dealer fix this each time I switch wheels at an exorbitant charge?

John

I’ve always successfully contended with other manufacturers that if something does not work per the OM, then it is a warrantee problem, not some magic adjustment they can charge your for.  Ask the dealer to call Lexus for a workaround for an OM that keeps you from a simple reset.  If you are using genuine Lexus parts in all your tires, then tell them you want the corrections to the manual that should put you back in the loop and them out of the loop permanently.

On 5/10/2018 at 5:55 PM, Les Lex 2018 said:

I’ve always successfully contended with other manufacturers that if something does not work per the OM, then it is a warrantee problem, not some magic adjustment they can charge your for.  Ask the dealer to call Lexus for a workaround for an OM that keeps you from a simple reset.  If you are using genuine Lexus parts in all your tires, then tell them you want the corrections to the manual that should put you back in the loop and them out of the loop permanently.

If the OP bought a winter wheel/tire package from Discount Tires, the package likely came with aftermarket TPMS already mounted.

But regardless of the sensors being aftermarket, here is what the 2017 RX350 owners manual says:

"The tire pressure warning valve and transmitter is equipped with a unique ID code. When replacing a tire pressure warning valve and transmitter, it is necessary to register the ID code. Have the ID code registered by your Lexus dealer."

Based on the above quoted text, it appears that the TPMS system used on the 2017 RX350 is not the more sophisticated type that senses the ID codes for whatever sensors are currently mounted on the vehicle.  According to information on page 591 of the owners manual, holding down the button the OP mentioned until the icon blinks three times merely resets the system after tire pressures have been adjusted and determines how information from registered sensors will be displayed.  The action does not "register" the sensors in the ECU.

There are a number of available tools that a vehicle owner can use to register (i.e. upload) TPMS ID's in a vehicle ECU.  I use the popular ATEQ Quickset programming tool - price was down to around $100 last time I checked.  After programming a Quickset with a vehicle's TPMS ID's, upload of the ID's to the vehicle ECU is instantaneous after plugging it into the vehicle diagnostic port and pressing the appropriate Winter (Snowflake) or Summer (Sun) button on it. 

$70 to $80 to register TPMS ID's is a pretty good deal.  Most dealerships where I live charge more.

Great information, Jim.  I have upgraded to better wheels a bunch of times being a wheel geek. But Iv’e always saught out and purchases Toyota take-offs that already had the right Sender units.  So I do see the trouble one can get into with aftermarket stuff.  Online eBay has been a fantastic source for backup and take-off wheels that still have the TPMS devices still installed and they always worked well.

I am not without fault either - I purchased my first set of wheels that were not designed for the Toyota Vibe but had a slap-on yoke conversion kit to make it fit. When I discovered this, I knew I was in trouble. NEVER EVER able to balance any of the tires/wheels on the car.  STUPID them - STUPID Me. 

1 hour ago, Les Lex 2018 said:

Great information, Jim.  I have upgraded to better wheels a bunch of times being a wheel geek. But Iv’e always saught out and purchases Toyota take-offs that already had the right Sender units.  So I do see the trouble one can get into with aftermarket stuff.  Online eBay has been a fantastic source for backup and take-off wheels that still have the TPMS devices still installed and they always worked well.

I am not without fault either - I purchased my first set of wheels that were not designed for the Toyota Vibe but had a slap-on yoke conversion kit to make it fit. When I discovered this, I knew I was in trouble. NEVER EVER able to balance any of the tires/wheels on the car.  STUPID them - STUPID Me. 

I didn't mean to imply that aftermarket TPMS wheel units were necessarily bad - only that it must be verified that they are compatible with the vehicle system and that a car dealer should not be expected to make aftermarket sensors function properly.  I didn't buy any of the TPMS modules for the winter wheels we use on our current Toyota vehicles from a Toyota dealer although at least one set is the same brand that is factory installed on many Toyota and Lexus models.  But then I'm never going to ask a car dealer or anybody else to do the programming.

Ah, yes ... the Toyota Matrix \ Pontiac Vibe.  I distinctly remember renting a Vibe at the Albany NY airport in the mid-2000's.  Funny, I remember that trip because I didn't realize that the office I was visiting and the hotel I was staying at were within a mile of the airport.  I doubt that I drove the Vibe even 5 miles over several days before I returned it.

It's only OEM wheels for me.  I bought Mille Miglia wheels from Tire Rack to use with winter tires on my last Lexus and found that they were no longer available when I curbed one a few years later and wanted a replacement.  And the steel wheels I bought for a currently owned Prius v have been a complete PITA requiring different lug nuts and ill fitting wheel covers - I should have bought OEM alloys for it.

That was wild!  You knew the the Toyota Vibe is AKA for a Pontiac Matrix, AKA Pontiac Vibe, etc.

Ah, Fremont, California = Toyota’s attempt to teach GM how to build good cars.

It didn’t work!  Pontiac is just a memory like Saturn and Olds.

I really do hate TPMS.  Every year on two cars, got to pull out the spare to add air, because the air valve is face down on the spare, and needs air to keep from tripping the warning. Great Idea - Super PITA!  What ever happened to “Set it and forget it”?

I have a 2018 rx 450h and regularly change my wheels/tires as per summer/winter season. once the recalibration message ends, you have to drive for 30 minutes before the tire pressure is displayed.