00 Lexus LS400 Power Steering Leak trace

Recently, I noticed that power steering has been making a ton of whining noise when I turn the steering wheel. After topping off the power steering reservoir with the Dextron ATF fluid, I checked the surrounding near the reservoir, there was no signs of leakage. With reservoir at correct level, the power steering would behave normally again. But that was short-lasted as fluid level would drop again.

I ended up getting on my knee at the driver side (not passenger side), and noticed a ton of oil leak. I used my hand to touch the fluid and noticed that it is indeed the power steering fluid. I took a photo, but can anyone shed the light on what component may be at fault on the driver side? I thought the PS pump is on the passenger side. I haven't jacked up the car to take a better look yet, but I will do it soon.

Note: the attached photo was taken on the driver side near the driver side front wheel

IMG_20180502_172606.jpg

Well it looks like the leak is coming from the boot on the rack and pinion. You can se the black accordion object which is the boot in the picture. Easiest thing to do is jack the car up on that side take the wheel off and inspect it. There is also a filter on that side which you will be able to clearly see.

Hi Antony

Yes thats right power steering pump is on the passenger side just above the alternator and somewhat diagonally below the fluid reservoir

From that photo as craig suggested it looks like the leak is coming from the boot, that rubber part which looks like a coil, wear a pair of gloves before you inspect

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys,

Just an update. I had to replace the rack and pinion on the LS400, and perform a four wheel alignment afterwards. The PS fluid filled up boots at both ends of the rack and pinon. After the replacement, the car runs good as new. Thanks guys for the help!