Inspiration Edition

tabasco

Subject: Depreciation 

Hi all. We are very close to purchasing a LC Inspiration edition. As an owner of a ‘07 SC, we were highly disappointed with its fast depreciation. The inspiration edition is selling at MSRP (understandably so due to only 100 made). Any guesses as to how well this beautiful car will hold its value. I tried to do some comparisons with the Pebble Beach SC with no luck.

Your replies are are greatly appreciated. We are struggling between a Nouvelle Blue NSX at $50k more than the LC, but $30k off the MSRP of the NSX. THANK YOU.

5651CEFF-71CA-447C-B097-35D65B7A6F27.jpeg

• 11 months later...

Hi Rick

Both are beautiful cars...I am hoping my LC holds it's value...I only drive it in summer with no chance of rain 🙂 so it's going to have a relatively low mileage. I do have to say I love my LC, both the way it drives/performs as well as the looks I get while driving it. Since they are new to the market, only time will tell. I know my RX's held/hold their value really well.

When I was looking around, I was also considering an Aston Martin Vantage (I had owned one previously and it is a beautiful car!) as well as a Corvette.  In the end it came down to my familiarity with Lexus....I have owned a few RX's in the past and for quality of service, Lexus (IMHO) is second to none. I'm sure you've compared Lexus vs Acura service programs.

I am a little surprised that Acura is willing to knock off $30K (20%) off the MSRP...this is not common for "supercars" of any brand (as far as I know)...to me it would signal (red flag) an issue with either the car or the dealership.  

Looking at the Inspiration edition, it looks from the website that it only comes in yellow...is the blue LC up top an actual Inspiration edition or a "regular" LC?

If you choose a "regular" LC, I would highly recommend the performance package...at the very least get the 21" wheels.

It's fun to do the shopping eh? Naturally I'm biased toward the LC. Good luck with your decision.

• 1 year later...

I have the 2018 LC500 which is the original inspiration series - it came in structural blue which is what is pictured above.  It is a beautiful car and the paint seems to glow in the dark especially when there is a low intensity streetlight a little bit away.  It actually has no blue pigment at all and is technology that took Lexus 8 months to a year to develop.  The interior is white blue and orange in color and as is the case with all LC500s is completely luxurious with a high quality feel.  No skimping on material with this car.  While the NSX will also get you looks when driving it, an inspiration series Lexus LC has so much love put into its original design that it just feels special!  Glad to see that I am not the only one who babies my LC - only goes out when there are no rain or snow conditions!  Lol.

Some points to consider:
As you probably know, mid-engine sportscars, even with rear-drive only, typically have a fairly significant acceleration advantage over front engine/rear drive sportscars. This is certainly the case with NSX vs LC500.
Certainly, depreciation become less of a factor, the longer you keep your vehicle. Is there a possibility that you will, in the near future sell the car you select?
A search of 2018 LC500s (entire US) revealed one structural blue version at $90,000 asking price. Typical 2018 LC500s are being offered at $72,000 - $77,000, depending upon mileage and options. I could not find the MSRP and typical selling price of the structural blue LCs. 2018 NSXs can be had for $138,000 or so.
A $30,000 discounts is steep, considering that this is not a car with an MSRP of $200,000+.
The reliability of NSX models are listed as average by Kelly Blue Book. I have no doubt that the LC500 will prove to be above average, as are most Lexus vehicles.
This is certainly a tough choice, as both cars are beautiful and rare. Either way, I have no doubt you will thoroughly enjoy your new ride.