Bank 1, Sensor 2 Replaced and light on again

StructureEngr

Hello all. I have a check engine light came on. So I found out the code from Autozone and bought a Denso bank 1, sensor 2 and had it put in. Three hours later, the light came back on and found out it is the same error code plus either bad battery or ECM. Battery is new since Jan so it could be the bad ECM. The smell of the car after driving a while is the same as before, nasty smell when I step out of the car.

The car is 1996 LS400 with 178800 miles. Not looking to keep the car for a long time. In fact, I have another car to use while I get this issue fix and then I will sell it.

So how do you advise on getting this issue fix. I could not sell the car with the check engine light on. No one would get it without me explaining what it is and no one would believe a word I say anyway. So I would like to see how much to get this fix. I would think the ideal is to find a ECM guy locally and have him do the diagnostic. I am in Houston and is there a company called ECM-Togo in Houston. I saw a post that states there is such a company but it could be out of business. Also please advise if a junk yard ECM is the way to go. I have have the car idle for a month or two no problem. I can always drive my other car while I get this fix.

I believe i have somewhat similar problem in my car going on these days, i will explain my problem in another post in a detailed way

By the way, bank 1 sensor 2 are you referring to oxygen sensor? or the knock sensor?

what is the problem you are feeling while you are driving the car? the experience is different or you just feel something is just not right, i would highly advise not to directly jump to replacing the ECU