2006 430 SC

Ilse

Hello...today I've signed up to ask questions about a 2006 430 SC Pebble Beach Edition with 105k miles that I'm thinking of buying.  The car was turned in from the original owner, now 80, when his wife said he needed more safety sensing devices in his ride.  The car has been immaculately serviced by the Lexus dealer...two sales people have said it's the most loved/serviced car they have seen in 4-8 years there.  I currently own a Honda and Acura, this would be a "fun car".  The Honda products are exceptional...a CR-V with 194K and a TSX with 123K...bought new and serviced as required at the dealer.  I'm concerned about the upcoming maintenance and whether it needs to be serviced at the dealer and whether this car could bankrupt me.  Our tax consultant says it's too old, too many miles and has the potential to be a money pit.  Is she right?  Does this have a timing chain or timing belt (I'm not much of a mechanic). 

• 1 year later...

I just bought a similar car minus the Pebble Beach moniker.   This is my second Lexus.  There are 6 other ones in the family.  These cars last.  The maintenance is straight forward.  They are not expensive cars to own and you do not need to have all your service work done by a dealer.  Find a good mechanic by word of mouth. 

You have had good luck with Hondas.  A Lexus is a better made Toyota.  200,000 miles is nothing for these cars.  You have to do the maintenance and it is best to use premium lubricants and coolants as per Lexus specs. 

My 430 has 96k miles, but It is obvious the car was well cared for.  Yours is probably even better.  Relax and join the winning team. 

• 4 weeks later...

Your car has a timing belt.  It is due to be changed at 90,000 miles along with your water pump.   Check for a sticker in the engine compartment to see if this maintenance has been performed.  If it hasn't then you need to do it.  It is around $950-1000 to have a mechanic do it.