I just bought a '92 LS400 and it needs work.

JamieLexys

So a couple weeks ago I bought a used 92 LS400 on Craigslist for 1500. I went by myself to look at it and I have a vague knowledge of mechanics and how to look at used cars before buying them and I just bought it without having someone else look at it. After I bought it I had it inspected and found a myriad of issues. When I bought it I knew there was a power steering problem with a hose leaking and that didn't bother me also it needed a new battery so I got that when I bought it. I didn't know that it had a problem driving because I couldn't test drive it outside the little Street it was on but come to find out it shudders and hesitates when cruising and accelerating and they said that could be a crankshaft position sensor that's causing that. Also they said that the power steering pump may be bad as well as the rack and pinion if the hose does not remedy the problem. It's got bad tie rod ends, drive shaft flexible joint is bad, it's got a bad spark plug, valve cover gasket leak, some other gasket leak, needs a new fuel filter and the timing belt is in question whether or not it got changed... front tires are kind of low on tread. There's some minor aesthetic issues like the volume button broke, the LCD screen, the antenna, and there's some other little things I'm missing. The estimate I got from my mechanic was like 1800 so I just sourced the parts on RockAuto for like a quarter or less of what that cost is. Unfortunately I am on a tight budget so I only got the first thing I thought I needed, which was the power steering pressure line and the crankshaft position sensor. I got some decent information looking online for the replacement of the line but ultimately it was just trial and error taking things apart breaking things... it looked like the alternator was completely covered in power steering fluid so I removed it and Cleaned it with brake cleaner. I had to take it out anyway to be able to reach the line that need replacement. I also replaced the return hose, I think that was the main problem but it has a new pressure line now. I put in the new sensor, it was really easy unlike the pressure line. Once I got it all put together and filled up with new fluid, I decided to take it for a test drive as the steering was working quite well at the moment. When I get to the gas station and I started it up again it died on me, bad fuel pump. So here I am without my car temporarily, but I will be working towards getting it running and restored and possibly modified. I'll post more pictures as I get into it but that was just the Craigslist picture. this car needs a lot of love but I think it's going to be worth it in the end because I already have it and I'm kind of stuck with it. I really like this car though even though it needs a lot of work.

00s0s_htujWzvHO1Z_1200x900.jpg

change fuel pump is an easy job. My 1993 Lexus LS400 still running good, I believe you will like it after you fix the problem.

Good luck!!!

• 1 month later...

How can you be so sure that the fuel pump died?, if it is hesitating while driving there might be chances of misfire bad spark plugs or bad distributors among many other things

If the car died there might be chances on the starter being failed or the alternator since it has happened to me many times

• 2 months later...

Update...i need a new alternator, front brakes, and to rebuild my ecu, main issue... Lots of bushings, rubber, wires, plastic...front tires, power steering leak still, TPS housing, its just so many little things too. i need the ecu tho