Crosswind Effect

swb

My 2000 RX-300 is a joy to drive, except when it is windy. It shifts laterally even in a mild breeze. The vehicle is on it's second set of tires which were new to the car when I bought it and I am suspicious that the tires might be the problem. From you experience, does the RX handle as well as most cars in the wind? Mine does not and it is much worse in the wind than other vehicles I have owned. Thank you.

I have also noticed that my vehicle shifts more than often on windy days. Sometimes, when I'm driving around 69mph, I feel like my vehicle w=could easily flip from the wind blowing the side of my car. however, I don't have an answer to this. I have never replaced my springs/suspensions, struts etc, and the car has about 90k on it, so I suspect that may be the cause for the car to move unsteadily in the wind.

If you proceed witht he work, pleae let me know what the results are. I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this. My vehicle has 43k on it, so I doubt the suspension is worn out. I'm skeptical obout the tires. They were new when I bought it at 31k a year ago. The tires are not a big name brand.

I think because the RX is a SUV with higher ground clearance, center of gravity and larger profile, the vehicle will tend to get blown around more than a smaller low profile car. :o

Also I think tires (and suspension) have a lot to do with the way the RX handles in the curves and from cross winds. I had Michelin Cross Terrains installed almost a year ago and they're a big difference from the original Goodyear tires. It's much more stable and corners very well. Money well spent. Other than that, your car is not much different than any other SUV or RX when it comes to handling in the wind.