Strange Transmission Problem

MoldBuster

Recently purchased an RX-300 AWD. 208K Miles. Just had Timing Belt/Water Pump/Plugs/VVT Servo Valves changed. It runs great (other than the world's most annoying sunroof rattle...but that is for a different thread). BUT....It has a very odd transmission problem.

Only when it is very cold, it is hard to shift the transmission out of the Park position. It acts like there is a solenoid or a release valve after you push the shift button. You have to fiddle with it for about 15-20 seconds then it shifts out of park. Once warmed up even 5 minutes and for the rest of the day, it shifts in and out of park perfectly. Trans is otherwise acting absolutely fine...and yes, I plan to have it flushed by the area's top transmission shop and have them install a new ATP B187 trans filter I purchased.

There is a safety interlock solenoid that will not operate unless the brake pedal is depressed.  At the age of your vehicle it may be that the solenoid is "gunked up" and needs either cleaning or replacement.

As to flushing the transmission with 208,000 miles on it, tread very carefully here.  There is ample anecdotal evidence that using a flush technique on a transmission this old with this much service can break loose deposits that have settled out in the nooks and crannys of the hydraulic circuits and flushing may dislodge enough of them to lead to catastrophic failure of the transmission.  If your transmission shop is really good they should have an opinion on this.  This is especially true if the transmission has never been serviced or if if has more than 60,000-75,000 miles on it since the last service.  This exact failure happened to me on a Jeep Grand Cherokee.  A drain and refill is probably pretty safe but at least discuss this with your shop before proceeding with a displacement flush.  Good luck.  Oh, my Jeep lasted about 1500 miles before it failed.  The tech found the ATF coolant lines completely plugged with sludge.