SC430 Totaled, Get GS430/LS430? Need Everyone's Input!!

cduluk

Hi all:

I need everyone’s input before making a vehicle decision. I have a totaled SC430 sitting in my garage (details below) and want to buy a 4-door replacement as a daily driver. I’m thinking an older GS430 or LS430, but I need your help with some SC-GS-LS compatibility.

Further down is some background info detailing why I’m in this mess.

But here are my questions before you read:

(1) How many parts on the ’06-’10 SC430 are “swappable” with those of my ’03 SC430?

(ie: engine, transmission, sensors, ECUs, suspension, brakes/pads, etc.)

I understand they did something with the transmission in 06—did they change the

transmission completely? Or just re-program the ECU?

(2) How many parts on the ’01-’05 GS430 are “swappable” with those of the ’03 SC430?

(3) How many parts on the ’06-‘07 GS430 are “swappable” with those of the ’03 SC430?

The ’06 GS got the new body style, but I’ve “heard” that the engine is the same.

What else is? Transmission?

(4a) Regarding the ’01-’06 LS430, did they change the transmission or any other major

components at any point in this generation? I know they changed the front/rear

end with new headlights/tail lights, bumper, etc. But I’m not sure about

engine/tranny parts. So for the LS430…

(4b) How many parts on the ’01-’06 LS430 are “swappable” with those of the ’03 SC430?

And is this the same for ’01-’03 and ’04-’06?

Here’s some background info:

In 2014, I bought a pre-owned 2003 Lexus SC430 for $11,000. It was PERFECT, never had an accident, had AMAZING service history, etc. I converted the front end to look like the 06-10 version (with new headlights, grilles, bumper, etc.) as well as the rear-end (replaced tail lights with 06-10 version). I also converted the gauge cluster to the ‘06-‘10 type, and dyed/cleared the interior wood to a darker maroon. Once I was done, and after spending

thousands in upgrades, it looked and ran like a 2010! Here’s a pic of the interior once I finished converting it:

5oxl76.jpg

In Jan 2016, my girlfriend was driving my SC430 as she followed me home (I was driving my other car). As we approached a light, she rear-ended me. Yup, I went from having two cars, down to 0 cars in one second. Here’s a pic of the aftermath:

o76o2q.jpg

I brought both cars to my body shop and called my insurance. I used insurance to repair my main vehicle, however they were going to total the SC430 and only offered me $7,000 for it. I decided to drop the claim and keep the SC430 as it was, and had it towed in my garage where it’s been since that day. Here are some pictures of it:

2z5w5lv.jpg

mtlfee.jpg

5e6fx3.jpg

The engine WAS running after the accident, however my body shop removed the serpentine belt (no idea why) before I had it towed home. It has been sitting in my garage this way for 2 years. At the time, the body shop estimated that they could repair the front end for ~$6,000, but I never had it repaired.

I didn’t take the insurance payout because I saw more than $7,000 and a possible use for its’ parts in the future. Here’s why: The engine, transmission, some suspension parts, lots of sensors, etc. as well as the tires and upgraded rims are in AMAZING condition. Even though the car has 180,000miles, it had been maintained at Lexus at every interval and then some. I downloaded the Lexus service history. See here for PDF: http://freepdfhosting.com/600ce0e8a9.pdf

And here’s a screenshot of the CarFax header. The 2016 accident was never included:

2a8qfzn.jpg

And I can’t see putting $6,000 into it for repair, since it’s only worth $7,000….

So here’s my BIG IDEA that I need your help with.

My goal is to replace the SC430 with a used 4-door, and I’d like to keep this replacement vehicle for another 10 years or so, without spending too much on future repairs. So…

What if I purchased one of the used 4-door Lexus’ I mentioned at the beginning of this thread to replace it—either the ’01-’05 GS430, ’06-’07 GS430, or ’01-’06 LS460? My thought is… since they share so many parts with my ’03 SC430, if anything decided to break (engine, transmission, sensors, etc.) I wouldn’t have to buy costly replacement parts—they’re right in my garage to be swapped! Do you think this would save me money 10yrs down the line? And which of the models/years vehicles shares the most parts with my SC430? Here are the questions I posted above listed again.

(1) How many parts on the ’06-’10 SC430 are “swappable” with those of my ’03 SC430?

I understand they did something with the transmission in 06—did they change the

transmission completely? Or just re-program the ECU?

(2) How many parts on the ’01-’05 GS430 are “swappable” with those of the ’03 SC430?

(3) How many parts on the ’06-‘07 GS430 are “swappable” with those of the ’03 SC430?

The ’06 GS got the new body style, but I’ve “heard” that the engine is the same.

What else is? Transmission?

(4a) Regarding the ’01-’06 LS430, did they change the transmission or any other major

components at any point in this generation? I know they changed the front/rear

end with new headlights/tail lights, bumper, etc. But I’m not sure about

engine/tranny parts. So for the LS430…

(4b) How many parts on the ’01-’06 LS430 are “swappable” with those of the ’03 SC430?

And is this the same for ’01-’03 and ’04-’06?

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and ideas!

I like the way you think but I honestly would of just let them total it. You will never recoupe the money in upgrades and I think it was more of an emotional decision than a practical one on your part. We live and learn. I don't know about the other cars but the 01-03 LS 430 has a 5 speed  and the 04-06 has a 6 speed which is sealed.