2004 gx470 transfer case noise

musiciandon

Hi. I'm a new member with a question. I've never used my shifter in L. but lately it's making a buzzing sound and twice it sounded like a rollercoaster going up hill (click-click-click), and then after a minute or so back to just buzzing again. While investigating the noise, I put it into L (with great difficulty) and discovered that is where the bad noise is coming from. It's got 230,000 miles on it, and has always been extremely reliable. I plan to change the fluid tomorrow to see if that helps, but was curious if anyone on this forum has any experience related to this that you would be willing to share? Thanks in advance! 

• 1 year later...

I had similar issues and got a used transfer case from benzeen auto for about 1400.   I had to used my original computer box which is attached to the transfer case.  The one which came with the used case was faulty.  Everything works great ever since. Have a mechanic who knows there stiff do the job.  The labor is about $450.  Did this two years ago without any other issues with the noise which usually happens at 65mph and above.  My vehicle now has 314k on it.

• 1 year later...

Long story short... I picked up a 2004 GX470 from a used dealership with 122k. I drove if for about 2 weeks before I noticed a grinding noise coming from the T case. I decided to drain it and there was no oil— turned out to be an O-ring actuator leak. I refilled it with oil and it still made the new grinding/howling noise at speed (35mph+). The dealer bit the bullet and replaced the O-ring and told me that the noise was normal (which I know is not normal). I’m taking it to the local Lexus dealer b/c no smaller shops in my town rebuild these T-cases or install them. I’m worried that the dealer will want to charge thousands to do the work, but I want the peace of mind about having a solid vehicle. 

It has been about 3 months since I bought the thing. Does anyone know if I have any right to go back to the salesman and ask them to pay for repairs b/c the issue was caused by them? If not, what is the most cost effective way to go about getting it fixed? 

Thanks!