I Replaced The Air Suspetions Yesterday

Zdeno

Hi guys,

after what I was thinking a long time How I will figure out my problem with front left suspention on my 167K 1991LS I replaced all 4 by the regular hydraulic struts yesterday. It tooks me about 5 hours included change brake pads. I have to tell that I´m not crazy from them but NOW I have the peace of my mind. The car is much harder and I can feel much more bumps etc. The car is too high in rear (I´ll have to ride with huge bag of sand in the trank and full gasstank). Anyway I had no choise. New air is about $1000 each and I didn´t want to buy used. Now I know the difference between the Air and hydralic :whistles: .

You could have bought aftermarket sport suspension with adjustable dampening and height .This way keep it at stock height and make the dampener as soft as possible ti get a real smooth but firm when needed drive.

...The car is too high in rear (I´ll have to ride with huge bag of sand in the trank and full gasstank)....

well, back in Sept/03, I changed the rear pair of air sus on my wrecked 94 LS to hydraulic struts by my 'personal' mechanic. it was siting very pretty at proper height.

I recalled he went to a great length in adjusting the spring/strut to make them at right and proper height. I've no ideal how to do it, though!

from lextreme article and pictures:

http://www.lextreme.com/ascon.htm

the height on his LS4 after conversion is quite good, so I would assume your problem could be caused by imporper installation. so, maybe it's time to bring it to professionals to make the proper adjustment.

in term of ride, I am fine with the firmness of hydraulic struts. sorta more a sporty ride vs super soft on air sus.

You could have bought aftermarket sport suspension with adjustable dampening and height

skperformance,

the hydraulic struts from Strutmaster are direct replacement of air straut, therefore no modificaton is required to the conversion.

with all connecting pieces designed for air sus, do you need to do some structural modification in order to install the 'aftermarket sport suspension' ?

As far as i know only aftermarket spring are going to be different but the holes line up fine just no air hose connection.So you can remove about 50 lbs worth of old junk after and save some gas as well