Shift cable removal and install 2002 es300

Help! I have a 2002 es300 251,xxx miles great car. However a week and a half ago when it was like -14 out I went to put the car in gear and it was not wanting to shift the cable. For the last few months it was getting harder to move the cable to engage the transmission from Park to the next gear. It especially got harder to move when the temperature out got colder. So I did try to just move it slowly but then I know I broke something in the shifter while doing this. It's almost like the cable got stiffer and harder to move. So now I am going to need to replace the cable and I am going to put in a replacement shifter too. Question I have I cannot remove the existing cable from the shifter at the base.  I got the first cable off on the top area, that allows the shifter to move when you press the brake but the part that goes on the bottom of the shifter that has the bushing in it I am not able that off or the other two cable holders at the bottom of the shifter assembly. Doesn't look like any special tools or skills needed just cannot figure out how to remove them from the shifter. Any suggestions?  Cannnot see it that well either. Errrr. Any help 

Danpeterson,

I've spent an hour digging this info up. Its for a 2002 Camry XLE, which is the same car as your 2002 ES300, same engine and tranny, just different interior and exterior panels but mostly the exact same car. I'm hoping that it'll answer your questions.

Be prepared to search through the entire document to find the sections showing pictures and the step by step instructions for the interlock cable to the ignition switch, and the shift lever cable end, and then later on the tranny end of the shift cable. Its all there, and its from the Factory Service Manual for 2002. Good Luck!

40_Automatic_Transmission_Transaxle.pdf