matthewlswanson

Which generation of RX is the best offroad and why?

My guess would be either the first gen rx300 or the most recent gen rx350 because they have the most ground clearance. Not sure how they all compare with locking diffs, gearing, wheel articulation, low end torque, etc since I only own the first gen. 

Second question: is the RX a lot worse off road than the LX and GX or are they close?

The LX and GX are trucks, with a huge amount of ground clearance, low range transfer cases, and plenty of skid plates.  The RX is essentially a car platform with AWD, and no skid plates.  That said, you need to define what you mean by off-road.  If all you intend to do is drive on gravel roads, the RX will perform fine.  BUT, should you want to take your RX to Moab, UT and try some of the rocky trails, your RX may get seriously damaged.  Lots of BIG rocks, with no undercarriage protection.  That's both ends of the spectrum, but you get the idea.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Jordan111
      Does anyone know if the Lexus 2016 RX350 non sport fit the Sport (F) grill. I just want to change the mesh grill not the whole bumper. If anyone has experience let me know where should I buy and how much it will cost. Also can this fit without any customization?  
    • By Kie
      Hi!
      Have any you guys had a problem with the Rack&Pinion?
      I went to the car service around my house(Knoxville, TN). They told me mine is leaking and needs to be changed. 
      I'm having a hard time deciding to change or not because it cost like 1500$
      Do any of you have recommendations or any other place I should have service?

Thanks!
    • By 2016_RX350
      Hello,
      I have bought a new 2016 RX350 and the vehicle was driven 30k. When i took my car for servicing, the dealer has mentioned "BG fuel and oil additive" and "replace gear oil within rear differential and transfer case" which the dealer said was recommended by Lexus. Is it really necessary to perform these services? How does it affect my vehicle? If these options needs to performed then can i delay for another 5 or 10k?
      And if i have to opt in for these services then can you please suggest any mechanic outside of Lexus dealer as the dealer costs are 283 for parts and 478 for labor. These prices includes other services which i have not mentioned here. When i opted out of these two, the price was reduced by over $300.
      Any information shared is greatly appreciated.
    • By kcarroll007
      I have a 2015 RX350 F Sport (This is our second RX we bought from the same dealer, no issues with the first RX) we bought with 19K miles on it. Great car with no issues except for this vibration issue that showed up around 30K. Noticed a slight vibration in the rear like a tire out of balance so when we went for 30K service I had them check tire balance. What they found after trying to balance one of the tire was a small amount of water inside the tire. (Note: I had fixed a leak in that tire and had added air from my compressor so we assumed it came from my compressor)
      No problems until about 34K noticed a vibration on the front end like a tire out of balance. I had not done anything to any of the tires (no air added). So we went for our 35K service. They checked my vibration issue and after numerous attempts to balance they broke down all four tires and found small amount of water in each tire. With one tire having more than the others causing my issue.
      Couple of their mechanics said they have seen this happen a few times before on the RX but I have searched around on google and not finding any posts about an issue like this. Back when I was young in the 70's I worked on cars for a living, never in my life saw a tire make water internally on its on no matter the condition. Water in tires has happened but usually we were able to determine which service center had water in their air.
      Service guy told me this is not covered under warranty, not sure I agree since we have only put air in the one tire since we have owned it, they have done all the work on the car. I think they must have a moisture issue in their air system. I asked if they had nitrogen but they do not. So, I think I will have them filled with nitrogen and hopefully eliminate future problems.
      I wanted to ask you guys on the forum if anyone ever had this problem or heard about this type of problem. Any past experience or comments you may have would be appreciated
      Thanks in advance

• By austinboston
      Hi,
      I have owned my 2000 Lexus rx300 since they came out, but I have never tried to do any kind of mechanical work on it. Just not that guy. Well, my alternator just died and a friend said that it was easy to replace. So....I disconnected the negative on battery, now trying to remove the electrical connections from alternator. One with a few small wires inside came off fairly easily, hope I fidn't greak it. The other I have no idea how to remove. I guess that the connector covers the electrical wire to the battery. Do I push or pull or pry it off? None of these sound like good ideas to me. I atttached a photo of it.
      Meanwhile I located and loosened the pivot bolt. Now I am debating how I am going to reach the other 2 bolts I beed to remove. I watched some videos but ghey did not provide enough detail for me. I would appreciate any help.