My 2002 es300 with 108k miles is shuddering when warm and at idle. When the engine is cold, i don't notice it only when it is warm at signal I get vibrations. don't see any other issues, it runs smooth accelerates nicely.

I am suspecting throttle body. Never done this so to clean it, do I have to remove air filter box? or can I just open clamps and pull ducts? Any other word of advice?

Thanks

M

marathiboy,

At that mileage you may indeed require a throttle body cleaning, the idle air control valve (IAC) may require replacing or cleaning, but most assuredly you need new spark plugs. I would suggest both are required.

Since the rear 3 spark plugs against the firewall require the intake manifold to be removed in order to get at them to change them, the throttle body can be easily cleaned up, because it will already be free of the top of the engine. The IAC will be easy to get at as well.

There are YouTube videos showing throttle body cleaning, as well as the intake manifold removal for spark plug change. Check out the IAC cleaning/replace videos as well. Anyone used to wrenching on cars can do both jobs, but if its not your cup of tea, any good independent mechanic can do the job a lot cheaper than the dealership. Use the same NGK iridium plugs that Lexus used from the factory. They'll inject new life into the car with performance that you hadn't realized that you had lost over the years. Good Luck!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Crosby and Aleisha
      So I purchased my 98 LS400 around three weeks ago. Ever since there's been a ongoing problem. Starting it and bad RPM's. It worked fine at first then. One day I went to start it after letting it sit for about seven hours and it started and died instantly. Tried again gave it gas and it ran fine. Read some about it people said clean the throttle body and iacv so I cleaned the throttle body not the iacv because I don't know where it is on the 1uzfe vvti I now where it is one the regular 1uzfe not in the same place since the throttle body was relocated to the front. 
      After cleaning the throttle body it ran great for a day or two then I had to give it a little gas when it started. Then it would start after giving it a little gas the first time maybe it would fire up the second or third time. Now it's gotten so bad that I get in try it and it stalls remove the key and inject it and remove it once more and then try to start it. I'm trying to get fuel in the engine, because if I don't do this routine it just cranks and cranks.  After several attempts it will fire up after more than five of these attempts. 
      Ive notice that if it's a colder morning, sixty ish, it can start on the first go if I give it gas. And after running a little it just doesn't want to start like if it was warmer outside. 
      Ive noticed a few other things, they might not be related. The security light does turn in when the car is unlocked and goes off when the key is injected so it's working I think. The touch screen and the clock turns off after the engine starts and resets the clock but not the radio settings. New battery and has had a recent oil change. Some of the vacuum hoses and either old or replaced. Power steering is out. And there is a brake problem. There was an engine light on but it's not know. Had it checked something about the immobilizer and the two o2 sensors. The timing belt was changed about 115,000 miles before the seller said. I have been putting premium gas in it. I'm not sure if the previous owner did or not. 
      Should I check fuses, clean the idle air control valve (if so where is it located and what to use to clean it) or replace it. Make sure all vacuum lines are sealed. Replace the immobilizer and/or the o2 sensors. Or what do you guys think. I can't afford to take it to the mechanic. Anything helps. 
    • By goldendorp
      For the past year or so, if I leave the car alone for a few days, regardless of temperature it has trouble starting. When I go to start it it will crank for a while but only fully start by giving it gas. When it starts an large plume of smoke along with fuel smell fills the air. Check engine light is not on.
      I removed the air intake plastic stuff and put the key in the on position and a rock on the gas pedal. I removed the plate at the top of the throttle body and sprayed and cleaned out the 9 or so mini holes and the 2 larger holes. With my limited car knowledge I assumed this area to be the air intake bypass when the pictured valve is closed. I cleaned out throttle body as much as I could from the front without removing it. I had good results with this. The car started and maintained higher rpms than before. I thought it was a great success.
      I then left it alone for 10 days and it wouldn't start.
      What should I check next?
      Do oxygen sensors have a role is starting or just running?
      Does the MAF sensor have a role in starting if the throttle plate valve is closed during starting? (I didn't mess with the MAF sensor) Air filter is about a year old, lightly dirty, not filthy.
      Help... I like this car, but I don't like the Lexus service bill. Thanks.

• By leftfooter
      I recently got a guy to clean the throttle body on my LS400. However when he was putting it all back together he messed something up. One of the things that he messed up was throwing out a plastic gasket/plastic plug type thing that is attached to the throttle body. We found half of it and kind of glued it in there as it wouldn't stay in on it's own.

Does anyone know what this piece is called? Are there any other reasons that the car won't start after a trottle body cleaning. It trys to start but just never kicks in. It worked 100% before this.

Thank You.