CELSI0R

Car and Driver LS 400 Feature, Dec 2017

I discovered this article today, thanks to a member at ClubLexus. I went and made a scan of my copy, thanks to his discovery. I don't suppose it would hurt to post it here:

80-00001_1a77e80f7c3941bbd8915e3aac589ac

• Like 2

Glad you liked it, Paul!

For anyone who is also interested, I speculate that the car featured here is the same LS 400 currently being held at the Toyota USA Auto Museum in California:

80-toy661_5b4e3616ef5e7a697d86c2dedd3392f56fc8460b.jpg

Even though this car has a plate on it, it has been in photos before with the plate removed, such as this one:

80-image_2aa9c0a2db6efcbb7799b6aed4013e3faad5125e.png

The mounting holes are so small, that at the right angle with the right lighting, or with the use of photo editing, it could appear as if they aren't even there (like the photo in the C&D article). Notice how hard it is to see the holes on the ES 250 beside the LS (above).

The museum car is also a non-Trac equipped model, just like the one in the article:
80-1990_ls400_eng_l_3ba849f36f153c295014911bfb49a59bf7a0384a.jpg

Sources for photos:
http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/05/the-toyota-usa-museumfrom-lexus-to-nascar-more/
http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/the-lexus-ls-400-is-officially-a-japanese-nostalgic-car/
http://www.toyotausamuseum.com/collection/1990_LS400.htm

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Kdr
      I own a 1999 Lexus ls400. This is my first car that I got from my uncle. It has 400,000+ miles on it, and it’s just generally beat up. 2 weeks ago, the car stopped running. I had just parked it the night before and woke up to have it not even turn over. When I turn the key, I hear a click inside the engine compartment, but that’s it. There’s power to all the lights and everything else turns on. The starter will sometimes actually move as if it wants to turn over, but only for a second or two. Does anyone have any idea as to what’s wrong with it?
    • By otherworldliness
      Recently, I noticed that power steering has been making a ton of whining noise when I turn the steering wheel. After topping off the power steering reservoir with the Dextron ATF fluid, I checked the surrounding near the reservoir, there was no signs of leakage. With reservoir at correct level, the power steering would behave normally again. But that was short-lasted as fluid level would drop again.
      I ended up getting on my knee at the driver side (not passenger side), and noticed a ton of oil leak. I used my hand to touch the fluid and noticed that it is indeed the power steering fluid. I took a photo, but can anyone shed the light on what component may be at fault on the driver side? I thought the PS pump is on the passenger side. I haven't jacked up the car to take a better look yet, but I will do it soon.
      Note: the attached photo was taken on the driver side near the driver side front wheel

• By JamieLexys
      So a couple weeks ago I bought a used 92 LS400 on Craigslist for 1500. I went by myself to look at it and I have a vague knowledge of mechanics and how to look at used cars before buying them and I just bought it without having someone else look at it. After I bought it I had it inspected and found a myriad of issues. When I bought it I knew there was a power steering problem with a hose leaking and that didn't bother me also it needed a new battery so I got that when I bought it. I didn't know that it had a problem driving because I couldn't test drive it outside the little Street it was on but come to find out it shudders and hesitates when cruising and accelerating and they said that could be a crankshaft position sensor that's causing that. Also they said that the power steering pump may be bad as well as the rack and pinion if the hose does not remedy the problem. It's got bad tie rod ends, drive shaft flexible joint is bad, it's got a bad spark plug, valve cover gasket leak, some other gasket leak, needs a new fuel filter and the timing belt is in question whether or not it got changed... front tires are kind of low on tread. There's some minor aesthetic issues like the volume button broke, the LCD screen, the antenna, and there's some other little things I'm missing. The estimate I got from my mechanic was like 1800 so I just sourced the parts on RockAuto for like a quarter or less of what that cost is. Unfortunately I am on a tight budget so I only got the first thing I thought I needed, which was the power steering pressure line and the crankshaft position sensor. I got some decent information looking online for the replacement of the line but ultimately it was just trial and error taking things apart breaking things... it looked like the alternator was completely covered in power steering fluid so I removed it and Cleaned it with brake cleaner. I had to take it out anyway to be able to reach the line that need replacement. I also replaced the return hose, I think that was the main problem but it has a new pressure line now. I put in the new sensor, it was really easy unlike the pressure line. Once I got it all put together and filled up with new fluid, I decided to take it for a test drive as the steering was working quite well at the moment. When I get to the gas station and I started it up again it died on me, bad fuel pump. So here I am without my car temporarily, but I will be working towards getting it running and restored and possibly modified. I'll post more pictures as I get into it but that was just the Craigslist picture. this car needs a lot of love but I think it's going to be worth it in the end because I already have it and I'm kind of stuck with it. I really like this car though even though it needs a lot of work.

• By LS Max
      I have brand new, in box:
           - Moog ES80291 Tie Rod End
           - Moog ES80290 Tie Rod End
           - Beck Arnley 101-4897 Stabilizer Link
           - Beck Arnley 101-4898 Stabilizer Link
           - MOOG K500213 Suspension Ball Joint
           - MOOG K500214 Suspension Ball Joint
      I will match Amazon prices and eat the shipping (within continental U.S.).
      I ordered these parts for my car but did not realize that I didn't need them until it was too late to return them.  I'm just trying to get most of my money back.
      Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, Monero, or Z-cash accepted in addition to Paypal, Venmo, or Western Union.
    • By itsdancarl
      I have a 1994 Ls400 with an odd suspension squeak. The squeak only happens when braking. Definitely not a brake squeak. The squeak sounds more like a chatter and gets louder depending on how fast I'm braking. But this squeak does not happen when in reverse. I've replaced the UCA on the driver's side because the ball joint boot was torn. Both front struts are brand new, and just today I took the sway bar bushings off and greased them. Sway bar endlinks don't have play, and the rest of the ball joints don't have play. Still the same noise. Any suggestions on what it could be?